FORTY THREE

"The nightmares were terrifying," I said to Ezra, kicking a stone off the curb. "I wanted to wake up, but I couldn't. Ever heard of sleep paralysis?"

"You're still having nightmares?" his forehead creased into a frown. "It was almost half a year ago since that incident."

"Yeah, every night," I told him. "The same dream, over and over again. I know it's just a dream, but it felt so damn real."

"And why exactly haven't you told me this?" he stepped lightly over a puddle, glancing at me.

"Because I didn't want you to worry."

"I always worry about you, Haley. I have to, because I care about you," Ezra interlaced his fingers with mine. "Promise me you'll tell me what's going on with you from now on. I can't read your mind, you know."

"Promise," I had to tiptoe to plant a kiss on his cheek.

We stopped walking when we reached the river that separated us from the city. "Remember this place?" I sat down on the grass, straightening my skirt.

"Yeah I do," he sat beside me, spread his legs out. "We always hung out here when we were kids. And I always did this," he plucked a flower from beside him, slit it behind my ear. 

"Cute," I smiled. "Pretty smooth for an eight-year-old to do that."

"Ha," Ezra gave me his mischievous grin, moving closer so that our arms were touching. "You know, I think I've had a crush on you since then."

"And you never told me till now," I pouted. I couldn't help noticing the heat emanating from his body.

"I was shy," he gushed, playing with my hair. "I've always had feelings for you, but never had the guts to tell you."

"Doesn't matter," I turned my head so I was just inches away from his face. 

"It does. I'm a coward, Haley," his eyes flashed under his long lashes.

"No, you're the bravest person I know."

Ezra didn't say anything, instead wrapped his arms around me, and kissed me. The moon blanketed us with its pale light.

I loved this feeling, loved the way his arms were around me, protecting me. I loved Ezra more than anything else in the world.

All of a sudden a movement in the trees caught my attention. I broke away from the kiss, glanced over Ezra's shoulder at a dark figure hidden in the shadows.

"Hale? What is it?" Ezra followed my gaze. 

I didn't answer, but got up, inching towards the silhouette, as if entranced. 

"Haley? What do you see?" Ezra stood up hastily, gripped my arm. "Haley?"

I tilted my head at the figure-it was a man, judging from the short hair and masculine build. Why did he look so familiar?

And as I got closer, I knew. 

Hello, Haley...

The eerie voice rasped from the shadows.

Missed me?