SEVENTEEN

"For God's sake, help me!"

Damon's screams pierced through the night. I could hear it from inside Zac's car.

I shuddered, held Andy's arm tight. He was shaking with terror. I watched an officer pull his gun out of his holster. He walked over to two of the other officers, whispering something to them.

Zac parked just behind a police car, and then turned around to face us. "You two stay here, I'm going inside."

"Be careful," Andy said. Somehow I had a feeling that he too, wanted to head inside the house. 

"I will," Zac nodded. He got out of the car, strided towards the officer who had pulled out his gun earlier.  He made gestures I couldn't understand, but it wasn't long before the officer stepped aside to let him through.

"They let him in," Andy told me. 

"Yeah," I said. All of a sudden I felt the urge to check on Damon. And I wanted to know what those things were. I wanted to see them clearly. Not just the yellow eyes, but how they really looked like.

"What are you doing?" Andy gasped, taking my arm. I hadn't realized it, but I had begun to open the car door. "Are you crazy?"

"I want to go in there," I said. I knew I sounded crazy, but there was something pulling me towards the house, pulling me in. "I need to go in there."

"What? You're gonna get killed if you step in there!" Andy desperately held on to my arm. He was leaving fingernail marks on my skin, but I didn't care. 

"I need to know if Mum and Dad are in there. I need to know if Damon is okay," I babbled. "I just...I need to."

Haley...

Come to us...

The sudden whisper, as soft as a breeze, coming from inside the house.

Haley...

We are waiting...

I couldn't take it any more. I had to go in there.

I pushed Andy's hand off my arm, and bolted out of the car as quickly as I could. 

I heard Andy shouting my name, and the officers yelling frantically at me to stop.

I wanted to stop, but I couldn't. 

Come to us...

Feed with us...

The reapers. They were calling me.

I didn't hesitate as I ran into the house, the darkness enveloping me almost instantly.