THIRTY TWO

You have been a disappointment, Haley...

Those we kill always remain dead...

But you, you're a strong one aren't you?

You're just as stubborn as the Kanes, Haley...

You humans just don't want to give up...

That's the thing that ticks us off the most...

The reaper brushed a claw against my cheek, drawing blood. 

"You just don't want to give up," the reaper spoke, drool sliding down the side of its crooked mouth. "You have made me mad, Haley."

"Get the hell away from me!" I turned away from its fervent gaze. "Stop torturing me! Get the hell away!"

"I'm not really here, Haley. I'm in your head," the reaper jeered. "You're the one torturing yourself."

"Stay the hell away from me!" I held my hands out in front of me. 

"I'm not going to stop torturing you," the creature sang. "You humans never belonged in the first place. You all deserve to die. So if you don't die easy, then maybe I'll just torture you to death."

I can be inside your head without even opening my mouth...

"And now I'm speaking to you from inside your head," it continued, hissing every word. "Can you see how powerful I can be?"

"Haley. Are you feeling okay?" 

That consoling voice...Ezra. Thank God, Ezra was here. He was the only one who could help me take my mind off the reapers.

"I was so worried, Hale," I could feel him taking my hand, bringing it to his lips. "I'm so sorry for everything. So I've made my decision. I'm going to leave this town, together with all of you. I'm going to give up fighting the reapers, because standing and fighting them means taking you away from me. I'm willing to leave this town, because if I don't, there will be more deaths of innocent people."

"I just want you to know, if you can hear me, that I care for you. I cared for you ever since we knew each other. The moment that pretty smile of yours took my breath away that first time we met, I knew there was something about you. Haley, I can't bear the thought of you ever being hurt, of you ever being in danger, of you not being by my side."

"Seeing you like this, bleeding, hurting, almost dying...it kills me, Hale. It really does. I'm sorry I couldn't do anything to stop this from happening. I regret every single thing that I've done. All this is my fault, and I don't deserve your forgiveness. All I want is for you to wake up so I can see that beautiful smile of yours again."

"Haley, I..." I heard him shift uncomfortably in his seat. "I think I have feelings for you. Feelings I simply cannot explain. You are the one who makes my day, the one who makes me smile even during my bad days. You make me a better person, Haley."

"I know, it's all so confusing. I mean, you're my best friend, my best buddy. I'm not even supposed to feel this way, but I can't help it. I just can't."

There was a short pause, and then he exhaled slowly.

"Haley, I...I think I'm in love with you."