FORTY FIVE

Her eyes widened when I loomed over her. I could sense her fear-she was afraid of me. And somehow that made me feel good.

She backed up against the wall, her fingers frantically scratching the rough cement floor, as if searching for something. I knew she was looking for a weapon, something to fend me off.

"Please," she begged for mercy. But I couldn't forgive her.

I remembered this woman. The one who had told me off the day I had peered through Ezra's window. The one who had warned me that I was next. The one who I thought was insane.

"Please, don't hurt me," she clasped her wrinkled hands together. "Please."

"I can't promise that," I unsheathed the knife from the pouch at my side. It was Dad's favourite knife-I had stolen it, but I didn't feel the least bit guilty.

"Please, I'm innocent," she sobbed, silent tears falling down her cheeks. "Please, don't hurt me."

I took a step forward, my right fist clenching around the knife. I wanted to kill her so bad, wanted to see her blood streaked all over the white wallpapers. I wanted to feel blood on my tongue, feel what victory was.

"I'll give you anything, just don't..." she trailed off when my long, black tongue slipped out from between my lips. Her expression turned from scared to terrified. I wet my mouth, her hunger-inflaming scent overwhelming me. I knew I could control myself no longer.

"You deserve this," I growled. "You deserve to die."

I caught my reflection in the mirror at her dressing table- my eyes were gleaming an unusual yellow. Her room was a mess, but whatever I was going to do to her was going to be a thousand times worse. 

I inched closer and closer, holding up the blade, preparing to bring it down. She screamed so loud I wanted to tear her lips away from her face.

"Put the weapon down and raise your hands above your head!"

A white light beamed down on me. I hissed when I realized it was the police. Sh-, my plan was screwed. I wasn't going to be able to feed tonight.

"I will be back," I vowed, and leapt out through the open window, vanishing from sight in an instant.

From the shadows I heard the police barraging into the house, loading their guns, muttering random words into their walkie talkies. There were about five police cars parked outside the residence. A helicopter was hovering directly above, its white light moving here and there, searching for me.

"Are you okay?" a policeman asked. My ears perked up as I picked up the words.

"She got away," the woman, my victim, said shakily. 

"She?"

"Yes, a girl." 

"Do you know this girl?"

"Yes, I do," the lady replied. "But she wasn't just a girl."

"What do you mean?" one of the policemen asked for clarification.

"What I mean is..." I heard her swallow.

Damn, she was going to give me away. She was going to tell the police. Sh-, I should have killed her when I had the chance. 

Wait, I still could.

I glanced up at the window, just catching sight of the lady, standing up, talking to two large policemen. They were nodding, reholstering their guns as they chatted.

I took aim, and with one flick of my wrist, the knife whizzed through the air. I grinned when I saw it  ended up where I wanted it to-into the woman's throat.

I watched as her hand flew up to the hilt of the knife, grasping but not tugging. Blood gurgled out of her mouth, and the puncture wound at her neck. I watched the policeman crowd around her, trying to revive her. I already knew she was dead-I could feel her soul drifting away. 

Good. Now I was safe.

My secret was safe.