THIRTEEN

A maniacal scream escaped my lips, and I shut the door quickly, blocking it with my body. Damon shot me a horrified look, and Andy began to tear up. 

Oh, God no. This couldn't be happening. 

The creature of the night. It was out there.

Andy wasn't lying to me.

"It's out there?" Damon gawked at me. I nodded, unable to speak. 

"I told you," Andy said to me angrily. "But you didn't listen to me."

I sucked in a couple of deep breaths. I was panting so hard I wasn't sure if my lungs could take that much pressure. 

"I'm sorry, Andy," I said, but I knew an apology wasn't enough. Not only had the thing heard my screams, it had seen me. "We're trapped here."

"No," Damon said. "We can get out of here, unseen."

"How?"

"I'll distract them while you get out of here, out of this house," Damon replied. He had this courage nobody I knew had. How could he be this brave when we were in the same house as a killer?

"What?" my eyes widened. "You'll be dead the second you go out there."

"I'm willing to risk it," Damon said, and before I could protest, he wielded a machete he had found under my parents' bed, and disappeared out the door.

"What is he doing, Hale?" Andy asked me timidly. I hugged him to me, and didn't say a word.

All I could do was close my eyes and pray.

It wasn't long before I heard a series of low growls, and then Damon's chilling cries of agony.

It was as if he was being eaten alive.