NINETEEN

"They just...attacked me," Damon said, groaning when Zac helped him up. Blood flowed profusely down his tattered knees. "I tried to fight back, but they just started to eat me..."

"Save your strength," Zac told him. "We need to get out of here, before they find us."

I followed the two men towards the front door. Damon left a trail of fresh blood behind him. I shivered, wondering if the reapers could smell their prey getting away.

"Haley, hurry up," Zac called. I realized that I had been completely mesmerized by the blood spattered all over the ground , that I had slowed to a stop.

How could anybody bleed that much?

"Haley, move!" Zac said again. He was already out the front door. I saw a policeman run up towards them. I began to take a step, but froze when I heard it.

Haley...

The blood...

The eerie, raspy voice echoed throughout the house.

You want it too, don't you?

We know you do...

The voices continued to torture me. What did the reapers want from me?

And how come I was the only one who could hear them?

"Haley! Behind you!" Zac shouted loudly, and I turned, just in time to see it.

Those yellow, glowing eyes burned immensely as it fastened its gaze on me. It was hideous- it had a pointed nose, and insanely sharp teeth. Its ears were perked, like that of a bat's, poking out from the sides of its human-like head. It crouched on all fours, on its four skinny, human-like legs. Only that each foot had six sagittal toes with claws on each of them. Its skin was dark, and seemed to glint faintly under the light, like the scales of a snake.

A reaper. The creature that roamed the night. This was what it looked like. 

It was a billion times freakier than I had imagined it to be.

"Haley..." the reaper murmured, its bisque eyes never leaving mine. A grin spread wide across its grotesque face.

"We have been waiting for you..."