#19

| Allie |

I can't believe I was here.

The monstrous wrought iron gates shut close , bougainvillea curling around it's iron rods. .giving it a touch of spooky.

It was 8:30 PM.

Gloria detonated a bomb in my living room . I didn't even notice her leaving. All I could do was think about what she threw my away. . unexpected. .so gut wrenching.

Because  how can anyone attempt suicide for a person?!

As far as I knew, I was no Angelina Jolie men committed suicide for. I was me. Plain ol me. How could he jump off of a cliff for—

I shook my head.

Now was not the time for that.

I needed answers and God Dammit ! I'll get them if it's the last thing I do on earth!

Steeling my heart, I glared at the security camera zooming in on me , trying to get my face . I kept staring at the camera for five minutes straight and that's when I heard the main door slam open.

I tried to peek in through the gaps between the rods but all I could make out was a silhouette .

I really hoped it was him.

I'm sure he could see me too.

Hurriedly, he came towards the light and now I could see him clearly. Nope. Not Dennis.

He came near the gates, his nostrils flaring, his gray eyes reminding me of biting cold winter.

"Oh. .it's you." Disappointment laced his voice . His papery skin looking like a wet paper.

"Jared," I said coolly. "I need to talk to Dennis."

A bushy brows raised up in response.

"And why did you feel the need to talk to Master Dennis at this ungodly hour?. . .girl."

He added the girl like an afterthought.

His pompous tone was really pissing me off.

So I said what he never expected in his wildest of dreams.

I lifted both my hands and gripped the iron rods, my nose touching them, my hands absorbing the coldness of iron.

"I need to ask him why he tried to take his life for me."

×××××××××××××××××

His spine was as straight as straight can be. I was sure he was eyeing me warily .

I caught him peeking at me several times.

Honestly, I didn't care what he thought about me . He could take me for a duck for all I cared!

We entered the house and I shook my head at the interior. Why do all rich people inhibit the same house? Every rich person think they have a different house but all of them had the same concept of a "home."

Chandeliers, million dollar paintings, expensive decorations, animal skills stuck on wall,  rugs from Italy and all that shebang.

All I felt was cold. This house was oozing indifference, a daft of frost that had nothing to do with winter, chilling my bones.

Dazzling but empty.

I remembered what mom said to me one day.

"See Allie, you have to fill up their houses with dazzling stuff , it fills up their empty house and soul."