Chapter 28| Manik's Maddening Mistake

When a god falls where does that leave their worshipers?

Julius's POV

I woke up to yelling. Again.

I was growing tired of this.

I squinted in the morning light and quickly threw off the covers and got dressed before leaving my room.

My brows furrowed into a frown when I walked into the front room to see my mother and father both looking ready to fight a woman with long gray hair and flaming purple eyes.

"Uhh? What's going on?" I said gruffly and three pairs of eyes landed on me.

"I had to make sure." The woman said.

"You should leave Manik." Alpha Kaden growled and the woman smirked bitterly and tutted her tongue.

Manik? I've heard that name before... I couldn't put my finger on it though.

"I have to talk to Julius." She said and I scowled again.

Who the hell was she?

My mother looked wary and Kaden looked beyond annoyed.

"I'm still confused." I said and looked at all of them wanting to be let in on whatever was happening before I got in the room.

"Shut up!" Manik snapped and her eyes flashed. She suddenly erupted into laughter and I grimaced as tears pooled in her eyes.

"My sister is dead because of you! You stupid dogs!" She spat and my eyebrows dipped into a scowl.

"How did we have anything to do with her death?" I asked. I knew for a fact that I didn't come in contact with this supposed "sister".

Manik took a deep breath and gritted out, "Tikil gave up her immortality to create life."

"What?" Father asked in confusion mirroring my own. I assumed Tikil was her sister.

"My sister was your original 'Goddess'. I told her not to meddle in creation. But she just had to do it. And your fucking family—A stain to her creation; I couldn't let my sister be burdened by the guilt—so I cursed Kane Cruor and all his descendants. Why do you think all of your kin of the past have been nothing but terrors to their own kind? Kane was a monster—so all the descendants who met their mate—and stayed with them, a given—would bring nothing but pain for themselves and others. But you—" My head was still reeling as Manik pointed an accusatory finger at me, her tyrannical eyes boring into mine.

"You broke my curse. You picked someone other than your mate." She spit out.

I scowled.

"Why did you curse us?" I asked surprised at myself for being so calm in the situation. I mean, I just found out that our god is dead; maybe it was the shock of it. Then again we did have a successor that was my grandmother's friend: Alex. So technically we still had a god.

But if our god was actually a witch how could she create a god? Was Alex a true goddess or not? I shook my head and sighed. Someone else could worry about that logic.

"My sister could not bear to see her creation destroy one another. The Cruor/Ravenwolf family drove her to tears. I had to fix it. And she wouldn't let me kill you."

"But with that logic we'd only make her hurt more?" I said questioningly.

"Exactly! Then maybe she'd finally have the gall to put an end to her creation—or at least let me do so. But she didn't." Manik huffed and scowled resentfully.

"Instead she died for it."

"Then why not put an end to us now?" I dared to ask and her eyes snapped up to meet mine, an intense look flaring in them.

"Because," Manik gritted out, "You're the only thing I have left of her."

I let out a sigh of relief.

If she had agreed with me, I would have basically signed the death certificates of all werewolves.

"So I'm going to help you." She said and gazed at me for a while before sighing, "Unintentionally I've grown fond of your family. And since you were the one to stop my curse; I'm offering you a blessing."

"Why should I accept? And how can you bless me if you're a witch?"

"You don't have to. After all I won't really be changing anything. Think of it as an awakening. And I'm a centuries-old sorceress, I've lived countless lifetimes and have seen countless battles; I'm far more powerful than those other run-of-the-mill counterfeit witches." She said and I raised an eyebrow.

"Then again you've lost three of your given lives so I think it'd be best if you do." She continued and her purple eyes locked with mine, a challenge glittering them.

"Fine." I huffed and she started towards me.

Two chapters today.