Chapter 13| Gotcha

"What a fault to be so... alone."

Julius's POV

The forest blurred around me as I rushed after Alex. The scent of him was mingled with blood and my chops pulled back in a disgusted snarl as I ran on.

My legs pumped furiously as he came into view, jumping over a large fallen oak. I growled and used the oak to propel off of as I neared it, just as he rushed through a bush. My forepaws shot out as I attempted to catch him. My eyes fixed on his back as I leapt into the air and came crashing down above him.

Abruptly a body slammed into my side and I was flung away. I landed on the ground in a heap and rolled to my paws wincing at the pain in my side.

My jaws gaped and snapped threateningly as other wolves came out of the shadows.

I looked back and forth as more emerged from the darkness until I realized with a sinking feeling in my stomach that... I'd went right into a trap.

An ambush; and like an idiot, I went into it head on and alone.

The muscles tensed in my limbs as the others surrounded me in a circle-like structure, though they'd stayed out of my vicinity by a few yards.

"Looks like I've got you." Alex said a smile coating his voice and a snarl rushed from me.

I looked around the wolves for him and finally finding his cold eyes I drew back my chops and bared my fangs. He was not apart of the group, instead he was right in front of me just behind the hoard.

"Got me? You've got people surrounding me: so what?" I growled and sprang forward.

I took the others by surprise as I rocketed through them and managed to barrel into my younger brother.

"How could you?! Why did you do that to Jezebel?!" I snarled as I pinned him beneath me.

He glared at me and spat, "She was my mate! And you took her! Just like this should be my pack! And you took that! I should be alpha! This should all be mine! It's my right! My destiny!" He kicked me off of him and I stumbled a few feet away before regaining my footing.

"And Dalton and Drew?" I growled questioningly. "What about them? They were family." He only frowned at my statement.

"Kill him." My brother snarled and almost immediately I was knocked down as multiple wolves dug into my sides and leapt on top of me.

Sounds of snarling deafened me from outside noise and my eyes were blind to everything but fur, teeth, and claws... until it all stopped abruptly.

"Thank you Alpha." A voice said as the others backed away and only then did I feel the sting of the new wounds on my body.

I saw a wolf slightly bowing to my brother and I scowled. My limbs wanted to tremble as I trudged forward but I forced myself to stand tall as I growled, "Next time, fight me like a man." My brother snarled at my words and lunged at me.

I reared myself up and came down, crashing my forepaws on his head as he came within range. He came to a clumsy halt in front of me and I buried my claws in his head as he squirmed to get free.

Rage boiled inside of me.

"You talk of being an Alpha as if you're setting a great example... Attacking your family and pack mates; disobeying the current Alpha, your father, and Luna, your mother; ripping apart our home... starting a war within the pack? And you have the nerve to claim yourself as one who deserves to be an Alpha? You're kidding yourself." I growled before getting off of him and padding away.

"I'm leaving. I don't have the strength to fight you all. If you attack me, so be it." I huffed as I made my way in the direction of home.

The others watched me silently, though some looked ashamed and disturbed.

My brother began to speak before he was cut off by someone else.

"Alpha. I think it's only fair... Argh!" I glanced back to see a dark gray wolf staggering away from Alex. Claw marks ran over his left eye, remarkably missing the grape-like organ. A silence ran over everyone.

"If you're so glued to his ass. Go with him and... Don't. Come. Back." Alex snarled and his freshly bloodied paw glistened.

My ears flicked back as I watched the scene. The wolf looked towards me, one eye closed due to the bloody scratch and the crimson liquid in his eye.

My eyes squinted as I realized who he was. He was just a kid really; being only seventeen, yet if he was a kid then my brother was a baby.

"Well come on then." I told him and he looked crestfallen as he padded to me. I ignored my brother as I trotted away and the wolf trudged beside me.

Soon we were far from where the others had been.

"I—I'm sorry..." he whispered as we went onward. My eyes stayed ahead and my fur bristled along my back a little.

"Ian. It'd be in your best interest to keep your mouth shut for now." I quipped.

"But Julius—" He began and I growled.

"You betrayed the pack." I snapped. He whimpered and grew silent once more.

"I never doubted you though. Alex was my friend ya know? I just didn't want to see him hurt... I was wrong... he's not my friend anymore." Ian said.

"Enough. Let's go. I need to get treated." I huffed.

Ian went quiet again as we moved on. I squinted my eyes as my vision blurred in and out. My eyes widened as a body pressed to mine and I tensed and looked over to Ian.

"You're bleeding and limping. I'm just offering support. Please just accept it." He sighed and I huffed and leaned against him, growing acutely aware of the misshapen stumbling of my paws.

We trudged onward and after some time we finally broke the tree-line and the pack-house stood before us like a ray of sunshine on a gloomy day.

Today's chapter was kinda short.

I'll update again soon though either this week or next!

Ian - 17

Blaise - 36

Alexander - 15

Julius - 20

Jezebel - 18

Kaden - 44

Amelia - 42

Peace,

Kayla

🍁