Chapter 15| Mud is Thicker Than Blood

"You and me, we're not like them."

Julius's POV

A snarl rose in my throat as I marched down the hallway. The sound of rain and thunder was a constant in the air.

I'm damn tired of this shit. I thought as I rounded the corner. Lightning flashed outside brightening the dim hallway for a moment.

"Of course he picks now to attack again. Dammit Alex why do you have to be such a pain?" I muttered as I stalked downstairs, brushing passed the many that were gathering.

"Everyone you know the drill. Cover each other, I don't want to lose anymore wolves. Fight with all you've got, but please, if you are being overpowered DO NOT LAY DOWN YOUR LIFE." I huffed and  the wolves gave solemn nods. I knew that a few were probably going to die, but the thought made me angry. We'd already lost enough.

Thunder rolled outside and I looked over my pack fighters.

The sound of howls outside made me glance to the door.

"Come on." I snapped and walked towards the door.

The door swung open as I pushed it and the rain roared as I walked out onto the porch. The scene was blurred by the downpour. Lightning tore across the sky once more and in the distance there was a faint movement against the tree-line.

Everyone rushed forward simultaneously and clothes ripped as we shifted; paws galloped forward against the slick, mud-laden ground.

Lightning stroke once again.

Bodies crashed into each other and I snarled as I met head-on with a dark grey wolf, who I quickly identified as Garter.

"Where's your buddies?" I growled as I pinned him down and he bared his teeth at me.

"I don't have anything to say to you half-rogue." He snapped and red flooded my vision.

"Half-rogue?... You've betrayed this pack. Therefore YOU are ALL rogue. And rogues hold no sympathy in my eyes." I growled cooly before digging into his throat with my fangs.

"Have mercy—" He yipped before I ripped his throat out. It fell from my mouth with a plop and I stared at the body in horror.

What have I done? I thought backing away from the pooling blood.

"There you are." A voice made me turn to see my brother.

His pelt was ruffled and wet with rainwater.

He looked war-riddled and the left side of his muzzle was bleeding.

He looked at me for a small bit and I was frozen in place. Too emotional to move. I was angry, but also full of sorrow; calm, but also full of hysteria.

How is it, that I can gaze at my little brother, the wolf I grew up with, who looked up to me and who I would protect with my life, and want to kill him?

The rain pelted down and drenched my pelt.

"Ugh, your fur looks too much like blood. Hell, you look like you're covered in it." My brother said wrinkling his snout and I lowered my head and gave a growl.

"Stop this Alex." I spat and he chuckled and made a great show of looking around.

"Look around you. I'm in too deep to stop now." He said and I glanced at the wolves attacking each other.

At my pack fighting amongst themselves.

"This is my pack." I snapped and my brother gave a wolfish grin.