26| The Cold of the Night

Nightmares and memories fill my slumber.

Julius's POV

"Julius." Jezebel breathed in my ear.

I woke up with a gasp and looked around in confusion. The room was dark and being I was only in my boxers I was suddenly aware of just how oddly cold it was. Soft moonlight danced across the floor, slipping in from the curtains that gently swayed. But the air felt thick—suffocating—and for some reason I felt scared, like some monster was watching me from the darkness waiting to pounce. My eyes continued to scan the room and my racing heartbeat began to return to normal. I steadily got my breathing under control when a strange voice had me bolting upright.

"Don't you feel guilt?" A hauntingly deep, crackled voice asked from the darkness.

"Who's there?" I growled yet the overwhelming silence that answered as my eyes scoured the empty room was enough to make me drown in dread.

"Guilt. Such a natural feeling. Don't you feel it?" The voice suddenly spoke again and I glanced wildly around me.

I gulped and leaned over the edge of the bed. Was it coming from there? Was someone under my bed?

I am an alpha. I am an alpha. If someone is there I'll just kill them. Why am I scared?

I gritted my teeth and got out of bed before lowering down and peeking under the bed. I was only met with an empty darkness, and a lone sock. I looked around and took a deep breath. I didn't smell another scent.

"You've left Jezebel behind." The voice suddenly spoke again and I resisted the urge to jump as I stood up.

"No." I growled. "Whatever you are, just leave."

"Do you not feel guilt?"

"Leave." I gritted out and covered my ears.

"Do you not wish she was still here?" It's voice seemed clearer now... how? Why could I still hear it? I clenched my hands harder against my ears; pain starting to blossom from were I squeezed. Yet it's voice broke through again and again.

"This is your fault after all. She'd still be alive if you'd have kept your feelings out of it."

"Such cruelty."

"Noah would be proud of his son."

"Shut up!" I spat.

I growled as tears ran down my face and hugged myself as I sat on the edge of my bed.

"I am nothing like him." I mumbled as I stared at the ground.

A/N: In case anyone forgot Noah was the man Amelia was with before!

A knocking at the door made me jolt and glance as it opened but my gaze dropped immediately when I saw it was Ian.

"... Are you alright?" He asked softly and I shrugged. The door closed with a thud and I snuck a glance at him again. He was now standing in front of me.

"Lay with me?" I grumbled and shivered.

"Are you cold?" He asked ignoring my question and glanced around before walking to the window, were the curtains were rustling. "Your window's open." He huffed and shut it.

He turned to me and I climbed back into bed. "Ian." I said holding out my arms and he scowled. "Please?" He gave a dragging sigh and walked over before plopping into bed beside me and snuggling against me as my arms wrapped around him tightly.

So warm... I was was feeling better by the second.

"Were you sleeping in a hoodie and sweatpants?" I couldn't help but ask him and he shook his head.

"No. I was out on a run." He muttered.

"It's midnight." I scoffed.

"It wasn't when I started. Now that you mention it, I am kinda hot though."

"Well, you can take off your clothes if you want." I said and he sat up and glared at me. My face started burning and I let out a nervous laugh.

"I didn't mean it like that. I swear. I was just saying..." I started but stopped as he pulled off his hoodie. My eyes quickly ran around his body and I was met with a sharp thud of a hoodie to my face as everything went dark.

"You're staring." He snipped as I pulled the hoodie off of my head and tossed it on the ground.

"My bad." I said and closed my eyes.

"Honestly—are you closing your eyes?" He asked.

"Well I don't want to stare." I retorted.

"That's all I'm taking off." Ian said sounding defiant.

"Okay? I wasn't expecting you to get naked or anything." I sighed.

"Who said anything about that?" Ian questioned and shifted his weight on me.

"I mean, you were insinuating that that's what I was thinking so I'm just making it clear."

"Pfft—open your eyes. You're making it weird." He laughed and I opened my eyes to see him watching me with a blushing face and I swallowed nervously.

"Come here." I grumbled and he leaned in and nuzzled his head into the crook of my neck. His soft hair tickled my chin. A growl of approval rumbled in my chest.

I wasn't expecting that but I wasn't complaining.

My heart started pounding. His skin was so soft and warm pressed to my own. My arms wrapped around his waist and his muscles tensed under my fingers as my hands rubbed against his back.

"You're acting like a pup." Ian muttered and I chuckled as he pulled the blanket up so it covered the both of us.

"Julius?" He breathed after a bit and I slightly tensed as one of his arms slipped under mine so his hand could burrow into my hair. My eyes instantly shut as his fingers brushed against my scalp.

"Hmm?" I hummed.

"Are you really okay?" He whispered and I felt a smirk tug at my lips.

"I'm fine. Now go to sleep. And stop that." I huffed swatting his hand away.

Soon he was snoring softly and even though it felt good to have him with me I still felt guilty.

"Would Jezebel approve?" The voice suddenly spoke again and I flinched and shut my eyes, holding Ian tighter to me.

Next update coming soon!

Peace.