Chapter 17| At Night the Sun Falls Dark

"I wonder where the belief that cats have nine lives came from?"

Alexander's POV

My snout wrinkled in a snarl as I paced around the forest. Traitors they were all traitors.

They'd all left me to go back to the pack... to Julius. A growl gurgled in my throat and I felt my pelt prickle in annoyance.

"Alexander." A voice called and I whirled around seeing nothing.

"Who's there?" I growled.

A large black wolf emerged from the shadows, his eyes glowing red and a chill ran down my spine.

"I am Alpha Andrew... you can call me your great grandpa." The wolf said giving a grin, revealing sharp fangs. I raised my tail in challenge.

"You're dead." I scoffed and was met with a dark chuckle.

"In theory." He said and walked towards me but as he moved I realized his paws did not touch the ground and no leaf was disturbed by his presence. My ears flicked back against my head.

"What do you want?" I asked and he sighed.

"I've been watching your attempts to overthrow your brother and might I say I'm impressed." He said sitting and drawing his tongue over his chops. "Though it seems you could use some help." He added and I growled.

His teeth bared, "I can help train you." He said flatly and I tilted my head.

"How?" I asked and he lunged at me and I yelped in surprise as he tackled me to the ground. What?! How?

"I can touch you. You see. Your heart is as black as mine." He growled and stood up and sat in front of me allowing me to stand.

"What will you get out of this?" I asked giving my pelt a shake.

"I'll get to see the Ravenwolf pack as it should be. Ruled by blood." He growled and I gave a nod.

"Then teach me."

Julius's POV

The air around me was thick with the scent of forest as I opened my eyes. My snout wrinkled in wonderment as I looked around the darkness waiting for my eyes to adjust. I'd fallen asleep with Jezebel beside me, but for some reason I felt like this wasn't a dream. My heart raced and fur stood up on end as I heard the patter of paws hitting the ground. Slowly everything came into focus and I quickly realized I was being surrounded by strange wolves. I sniffed at the air and my tail rose as I found that they bore no scent.

I frowned as I glanced at the wolves around me, my fur fluffing in nervousness.

"You've been chosen for a great honor. You'll need it in times to come." One wolf stated solemnly and my ears flicked back.

"Umm... what's going on?" I stated and the four wolves looked at each other before circling me.

An old pale grey wolf with battle scars over her face and muzzle as well as along her body and green-golden eyes with dull white pupils stepped out in front of me and I glanced at her suspiciously.

"I am Nightwatcher, with this life I give you humility. Use it to humble those around you." My eyes widened in shock as she pressed her snout to my ear and a jolt ran through my body. I gasped at the sudden wave of adrenaline followed by a crashing weight of exhaustion. She stepped back and gave a nod.