Sixteen

I readjusted my posture on the hospital bed, supporting my back against a couple of soft-blue pillows

I readjusted my posture on the hospital bed, supporting my back against a couple of soft-blue pillows. I stretched my arm to touch my forehead and whimpered instantly. My head throbbed — a lot. The feeling wasn't much different from having someone playing the drums within earshot.

I ran a hand through my hair, almost wincing as the slight dampness came in contact with my skin. A heavy heart, tears, and the hot water running — was all I remembered before blacking out. I didn't even know how I ended up in this bed. Perhaps my blood pressure dropped suddenly?

I could still feel the bitter aftertaste in my tongue as I swallowed. It felt like I'd been unconscious for days. My head was heavy — too heavy for my liking. And ironically, so was my heart. The door swung open, revealing a... Giant human teddy bear? The soft beige fur-covered paw waved at me. "Hi, bestie. We've missed you."

I chuckled and stretched my hand for her to grab. "Oh my God, come here. He's adorable." I was pulled into a tight hug as soon as she flew towards me, placing a couple of kisses on my head.

"You scared the shit out of me."

"I'm fine, Reemie."

"Still doesn't cut it, you passed out for hours. I was so scared. If you'd have just let me come over... Maybe we could've prevented this."

I might get another earful later on but I would still have nothing to say. After everything that happened with Ethan that night, I just wanted to stay alone.

"Yeah, I know but..." I shrugged, "maybe everything happens for a reason."

"Seriously? Are you for real, right now?"

"What? Just stating facts," I chuckled. "And can you please tell me what happened exactly?"

"Gas leak. You were taking a shower, I guess and you didn't smell any weird odor due to the absence of ventilation in your apartment... And then you fainted."

"Oh— I don't remember anything... But oh my God, Nala! Where is she?"

"Don't worry, she's gotten the treatment she needed. The vet said she will be fine in the next few days."

"Oh my God... I feel like this happened to her because of me." I covered my mouth with my palm only to have it yanked by Reem. "Hey, it's not your fault. You aren't exactly in the best condition as well... Both of you are potential victims. She just needs some rest, no worries."

I nodded, wiping the faint trail of tears from my cheeks. "And just for your information, there's no reason that is good enough to take you away from me, Hazel Brooks. You'd better stick this to your head!"

"You are the cutest, Reem Jordenne but this teddy bear is everything." I clutched the giant fur-ball to my chest. "Thanks."

She clicked her tongue. "I'm not the one who brought it."