Twenty-Seven

I removed the shades and placed them at the table as I scrolled through my phone

I removed the shades and placed them at the table as I scrolled through my phone. My order was ready in no time as the waiter served me my espresso.

"Would you like anything else, sir?" 

I stole a glance from the name tag on the right side of his shirt. "No, that'd be it. Thanks, Tyler."

He shot me a nod and sauntered away.

I dialed Lauren's number and pressed the phone to my ear. It's been a while since I'd talked to my mini-human of a little brother and I figured he'd most definitely be having a chip on his shoulder.

"Ethan. Hello, sweetie. How are you?"

"I'm good, Lauren. How are you doing?"

"I'm doing great, just missing you around here. Everyone's missing you, your dad, uncle George, and of course Asher."

A throaty laugh escaped my mouth. "I miss you guys too." I heard Asher's voice echoing through the line then Lauren said.

"Alright, Asher. Wait, I'm gonna let you talk to your big brother." Her voice seemed a little distant and I figured she pulled the phone away from her ear. "Sweetie, Asher wants to talk to you. He's been bugging me all day."

"Sure, put him in." I took a sip from the mug.

"Ethan! Hi!"

"Hey, champ. What's all the fuss about?" I laughed.

"I'm bored here without you. When will you come back?"

"What about your friends? I thought you told me they were cool."

"Yeah, they are. But mommy Lauren won't let us swim in the pool on the weekends. She says we'll catch a cold."

"Tell you what? Once I come back, you'll be swimming in the pool every day."

"Really?! Promise?"

"Promise," I laughed.

"You double-promise?"

"Yeah, double fucki—, oh shit, I mean—" I raked a hand through my hair. Well, crap. "Double promise."

Asher giggled. "You said the bad word. I know because my friend Ryan told me."

I sighed, almost facepalming. "Yes, I did but don't tell Lauren, okay?"

"Okay. But if you don't take me to the pool, I will tell her."

"Fine, you little punk. I'll remember that."

I caught a glimpse of Vincent entering the café. His eyes roamed around looking for me. I cast him a quick wave from afar. "I gotta go now but I'll call you later, okay?"