Seven

It's been a few weeks since Reem moved to Montréal and I couldn't be more thrilled

It's been a few weeks since Reem moved to Montréal and I couldn't be more thrilled. I was literally jumping in happiness when she called to inform that her internship program will take place here.

I pestered her to come live with me and it has been great ever since. We'd spent hours gossiping and eating ice cream, doing each other's hair and makeup before hitting the clubs, and cuddling until we fell asleep. Reem had always been the best at anything cosmetology-related. At some point, I thought she might pursue makeup artistry. But I'd gotten considerably better at the whole thing too. Perks of living miles away from your talented best friend, I guess.

Everything felt so natural and familiar. She was my roommate again and I couldn't help but rewind time to that moment when I headed to my dorm and found her there, looking like an absolute goddess — with her black leather jacket, ripped boyfriend jeans, and a beanie. She was wild, care-free, and extremely kind-hearted. Her ocean-blue orbs had always sparkled with mischief and confidence as if she was willing to conquer the world with her badass attitude and maybe — she truly did. Four years later and she was still looking gorgeous, striving to achieve her dreams and being the most supportive and loyal best friend anyone could have ever asked for.

She was my platonic soulmate.

"Oh, la la — you're looking hot." A teasing smirk tugged at the corners of her lips as she stroked the base of Nala's ears, slowly cradling her in her lap as she purred softly. My baby ragdoll kitten had been my favorite companion for the past six months. She lured everyone in with her soft, creamy fur and hypnotizing blue eyes — her docility was just undeniable. For some reason, she liked everyone except Xander. Each time he tried to pet her, she would claw at him and run away, I honestly felt bad for the poor guy.

"Am I?" I grinned and adjusted my white crop-top before sliding on my denim jacket. The weather was somewhat colder today. It was a matter of a couple of days until the dry fallen leaves would embellish the streets. The fall season was my favorite and I could finally enjoy the perfect scenery while reading.

"Duh, crop-tops look sexy on you and that navel piercing over there was just the perfect cherry on top." No judgments, I always had a thing for crop-tops and anklets, they sort of give off that cute-sexy vibe, and well, the navel piercing was something that I'd decided on randomly, and here we are.

"Well, thanks, Reemie. I want to give my ankles the pleasure of resting from heels for one day." My boss was the definition of strict and I had to be formal at work. Always wearing dresses or skirts.

"So you're going out with that Xander guy again?" she asked.

"Partly, he's just helping me out with driving." He was kind enough to offer to help me overcome my fear when he noticed my reaction to actually driving his car. We had been trying for a while now and I thought I made some progress, at least I didn't panic every time I sat behind the wheel.