Twenty-Nine

I walked through the restaurant's door and

I walked through the restaurant's door and... Halted— pitch black.

I craned my neck to the side. "Reem, what's going on—" I was instantly cut short by a cacophony of deafening screams.

"Surprise!"

Mum, Kevin, Emma, Xander, they were all staring at me with huge grins on their faces. Jacob? Is that Jacob?

Oh my God.

He stared at me from afar with that adorable dimple smile. He actually came all the way from Toronto?

I covered my mouth with my hands and faced Reem again. "I can't believe you!"

She laughed and scooted closer to kiss my cheek. "Sorry, not sorry. Ethan's idea, I just helped with the planning."

Ethan. Where is he? That annoyingly self-composed, hot jerk who acted like he didn't give two shits about my birthday.

Where is he?

"Happy birthday, honey!" Mum strolled towards me and pulled me into a hug, her eyes glistening under the lighting. "Oh my God, I can't believe you turned 22. Look at you all grown-up and beautiful."

I chuckled and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "So dramatic, mum."

She softly swatted at me as soon as Kevin engulfed me in a hug too. "Happy birthday to my favorite girl. I can't wait to see becoming more successful than you already are."

A smile tugged on my face the same moment a little thorn pierced my heart. I bet my dad doesn't even remember my birthday. "Thanks, Kevin."

Emma squeezed herself in the middle, sandwiching her small body between mine and Kevin's. I laughed and crouched down to peck her head.

"Excuse me, I'm the next in line."

No.

No way.

I was pretty damn sure I heard Caleb's voice.

But he's in Ireland now. Right?

Nope. Clearly not.

He pushed through the line and pulled me into a long, bear hug. I practically screamed when I saw him.

"Holy shit, Cal!" I tightened my grip around him, squeezing the hell out of his shoulders. "Are you even real?"

He laughed and nuzzled my cheek. Then he quickly pulled away so I could know I was actually staring at him, so I could know that he was real. "As real as it gets. I was dying to see that expression on your face, it's priceless."

I swatted at his chest. "Shut up, you liar. We just talked a couple of days ago, why didn't you tell me you were coming?"

"That beats the point of this whole surpirse visit plan, gorgeous. Did anyone ever tell you what the concept of surprise actually means?"