Eleven

I woke up to a familiar hardness pressed against my butt and a muscled arm enclosed over my waist

The feeling was everything I have longed for in a really long time. The warmth, the closeness, the safety — him.

I wanted to turn around and bury my face in his chest, inhale his intoxicating scent and just stay here for a little longer but I couldn't. Everything so far has been going in the opposite direction of how it should have gone.

I squinted my eyes and got up, massaging my temples and sore neck. Sleeping on the couch does that to you. I noticed my head was resting on Ethan's bicep the whole time and I wondered how it wasn't dead yet.

His eyelids were adorably puffy as his chest rose up and down rhythmically, a few black locks sagged to his forehead, and I fought the urge to brush them off. The fact that he was still a heavy sleeper made the corners of my lips tug into a smile.

I ran a hand through my hair and went to the bathroom. I didn't know how we ended up curled in each other's arms but it shouldn't have happened. It was all kinds of wrong.

I splashed some cold water on my face and curled my hair up into a messy bun. Luckily it was the weekend and I didn't have to worry about running late to work.

The apartment was oddly silent, I wondered where those two went. I padded towards the kitchen, not missing the warmth of the sunlight seeping through the windowpanes and kissing my skin. Reem was right, this place was so bright and cozy.

I spotted a sticky note glued to the fridge and knitted my eyebrows together. Plucking it off, I read what my so loyal best friend wrote.

We ran out of milk and pastries for breakfast. Will be home in a half-hour, till then— feel at home, bestie, and enjoy your morning time.

Signed by the blue-eyed devil spawn with a winking face. Great, Reem.

My stomach grumbled and I bit my bottom lip in frustration. How could I survive half an hour without food? Contemplating the pros and cons of making my own breakfast and risking to burn down the kitchen, I huffed. We worked so hard on it last night so this was out of the question. I probably need to—

"Morning."

I craned my neck to the side and spotted Ethan leaning against the doorframe with his hands in his pockets, hair quite disheveled.

"Morning," I said. For how long he'd been standing here?

"Where are they?" he asked.

"Went to pick up some pastries or something, they'll be back in half an hour."

I could swear I heard him murmur something like damn before he brushed it off with a knowing smirk. Hm?

"Slept well?" he asked.