Thirteen

I killed the engine and carried the pink-wrapped box from the passenger seat

I killed the engine and carried the pink-wrapped box from the passenger seat. A huge wooden playhouse took place in the center of the backyard; in which a few kids bounced on and off. Confetti scattered across the greenish grass, musical patio chairs, well-decorated tables, and a bunch of colorful balloons hovering around.

Beetling off towards my direction, Emma flashed me a grin. "You came!"

I crouched down and tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear, careful not to mess up the ribbon tying her light-brown locks. "Of course. How can I miss the birthday of a gorgeous girl like you?"

She giggled and used her tiny hands to tug at the pink material of her dress. This girl and her obsession with pink. "Is this for me?"

"Yes." I handed her the box I'd bought yesterday. "Happy birthday."

"Thank you." Somehow overjoyed, she pressed it against her chest.

"No, that wouldn't do."

Confusion was written all over her face as she furrowed her eyebrows. I held back a chuckle and cleared it out by tapping on my cheek.

She giggled again and kissed it before scampering away to Sophia and seemingly informing her about my arrival. She averted her gaze to my direction and grinned from afar before making her way to me.

"I'm glad you came, Ethan." She pulled me into a quick hug. "Emma was so excited to see you."

I chuckled. "She's a loveable kid."

"And very bratty too," she laughed, "can I get you anything? Coffee, juice, some tea maybe? But in case you're in the mood for something strong, the alcohol is indoors. You can help yourself, these kids are driving me crazy."

"I bet." I let my eyes roam the guests outdoors but Hazel was nowhere to be seen. "Can I see Hazel first?"

Sophia shot me a knowing smirk and motioned to the front door. "She's inside... With her co-worker. Go ahead."

Hell no.

"Thanks," I said and walked up the front porch. The door was open so I let myself in.

And then I spotted her.

She was wearing a cornflower-blue dress resting on her knees, her chocolate-brown hair tied up into a ponytail, and exposing her neck and collarbone. A few strands of hair fell loosely against her cheek, making her look even more gorgeous. Her legs were crossed, seemingly pressed against her fucking co-worker's.

They were both sitting on the couch by the time he whispered something in her ear, causing her to laugh and tug at his damned shirt. The same scene replayed in my head and I felt a muscle clench in my jaw. There was barely an inch separating them on that couch. Close - too close for my liking.