Ten

She felt it

She felt it.

The scorching flame burning deep within me. She still felt it.

Because it burned deep within her too.

I could feel it in the way her body tensed when I touched her, the way her heartbeats accelerated when I came close to her. Or how she closed her eyes when attempting to draw out the scent of my coat. Just like she used to do.

She thought she was subtle enough but I knew her too well not to crack her mere behaviors.

We both burned so mercilessly amidst the smoke, seethed down, and rose up from the ashes. Maybe that's why the smoldering flame inside us refused to get extinguished— because we needed each other.

We needed to reunite.

But Hazel wasn't giving in anytime soon. She was extremely hurt and beyond angry with me and it was understandable. I told her I would wait but that didn't mean I had to stop trying, if anything, my efforts will be doubled.

Vince and I took a day off to furnish his new apartment. Reem didn't have the exact muscles to be of much help so she decided to be the boss and order us around. Talk about the infamous drama queen.

I carried a couple of boxes and went up the staircase, placing them right where her majesty instructed. I raked a hand through my hair and scanned the empty room. Unlike my talented baby, I sucked at the whole decorating thing but this spot could definitely use a better color. We bought the painting supplies on the way so we might as well start 'embellishing' this place like Reem said.

I went downstairs again only to find her struggling with carrying a box. What is it with these two girls trying to outweigh heavy boxes? I sighed and grabbed the cardboard box. "Let me handle this."

"Aw, look at you being sweet." She squealed, her ocean-blue orbs sparkling with amusement. "I must say, I like this version of you the most."

I chuckled. "You mean carrying-your-box-version?"

She rolled her eyes. "Yeah, that part included for sure but I mean, this," she motioned to me up and then down. "This whole you version. Hazel needs to dig deeper though."

I could feel my chest tighten a little at her mention. "She's very upset."

"Yeah, I know but I have seen you changing to the better in the past three years, and trust me when I say, you are now everything she wanted you to be." She crossed her arms together. "Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying she wanted to change you because you, better than all of us, know that she loved you for who you are but she did want you to be in a better place too."

I bit down on my bottom lip and rubbed my nape. "Yeah, I know that. Your best friend is giving me a hard time but she's worth it. She's worth everything."

She laughed. "She is. I just called her by the way, she'll be here in no time."

I knew she was coming but the excitement was still the same. Fuck, I missed her.