Twenty-Eight

I'd picked up Caleb and his girlfriend from the airport and drove them to a hotel

I'd picked up Caleb and his girlfriend from the airport and drove them to a hotel. They needed to keep a low profile before showing up at Hazel's birthday party.

Which Vince and Reem helped me a lot with. Initially, I wanted to take her on a cruise party, watch the sunset with our friends, talk about random shit, and have a few beers. Then I'd let her dance her ass off all night long, as I watched her from afar getting lost in the music. And then when she finally got drunk and exhausted, I thought we'd maybe do some stargazing since Hazel always had a thing for stars and everything that twinkled with a certain glimmer.

Just like her soul, it glimmered.

She had light in her- a dazzling, undying light.

And I never wanted her to lose it.

But my whole plan went down the drain since we were heading towards the end of November and it was fucking freezing around here. The last thing I wanted was giving Hazel a bunch of frozen corpses as a birthday present.

So Reem went for the next best thing, a restaurant reservation and a cocktail lounge. Meanwhile the second destination of her birthday celebration would be a little secretive. And a lot more private.

It will be just us for the weekend. Loneliness, champagne, a fireplace and other stuff that she liked.

And I couldn't fucking wait.

Reem took a bite of her millefeuille and scribbled something on a notebook. That was probably the fifth one she'd had in the last two hours. "God, this is so good. I'm gonna need more of these, Rivers. Just saying, in case you wanted me to help you a bit more."

I let out a throaty laugh. "Sure, why not. I'm gonna order more."

"I knew my best friend loved you for a reason," she smirked and tapped her pen on the paper. "Anyway, I'm done with the list of invitees, and just so you know Jacob and Xander are coming."

Of fucking course.

"Xander is her co-worker and well, she's still in touch with Jacob," she shrugged.

"Please, tell me he's dating someone."

She rolled her eyes at me. "Boys will be boys. He's moved on, I suggest you do too."

"How'd you know?" I asked.

"Because if he wanted to make a move, he'd have done it somewhere down the line in the last three years. The guy's in a better place now and let's face it, he's Hazel's best friend. He was there for her when she needed him."

"Fine. Invite him."

She flashed me a proud smile. "Will do." God, her pregnancy is killing me.

"Also, I called Connor and Deena and they apologized. They won't be able to make it, work and studies. But they promised to face-time her. They will finally come in Christmas holidays though."