Five

Six months ago.

I browsed through the low-budget venues in Montréal, desperately seeking out a suitable yet cheap place to organize the charity event

I browsed through the low-budget venues in Montréal, desperately seeking out a suitable yet cheap place to organize the charity event. The key with charity events is to maintain quality and ensure the event is well attended, but cut out all unnecessary costs to ensure the majority of the money reaches those who need it most. With a limited budget, I was forced to be more creative and flexible for any new suggestions.

My fundraising internship program will be over in two months and I was asked to plan out at least one fundraising event and bring it to real life. My first thought was a charity event because I believed it was something each one of us should help with. If you were content and happy with your life, why not make other people smile too by donating as much as you could?

I had been applying for different jobs like crazy in the last few months and when this fundraising company called me for an interview, I just couldn't turn it down. Despite the fact that this internship was non-paid and I needed money. I had been surviving on my savings and minimizing the expenses as much as I could. I felt like I got an opportunity to do something good for the people in need so I didn't think twice. I was just hoping they would like my work.

My last job definitely gave them a push to consider giving me a chance. I believed I was okay with organizing multiples projects and paying attention to the details, I meant that's what I did best, I'm obsessed with having everything organized. I also had some decent writing, editing, and proofreading skills so it sort of added up to the whole thing.

There was one problem though and it was freaking marketing. I had always sucked big time when it came to business but Mr. Collins, my boss, informed me that the company's marketing mentor will be giving me some lessons on how to get a better insight into the short-term strategy and adapt to the financial transactions. 

The wooden door pushed open after two quick knocks. "Ms. Brooks, do you have a minute?"

A little startled, I stood up from my chair and straightened the material of my mini skirt. "Of course, Mr. Collins, please, come in."

He padded inside the office with some guy following suit. I let my eyes drink in his appearance for a moment, his ash-brown hair slanted a little to the side, highlighting his sharp jawline as a dark-blue shirt clung to his figure, emphasizing his toned body. "This is Mr. Knight, your marketing mentor. He will be helping you with building up the essentials, providing resources, and also pre fundraising exercises. I believe you'd get along well."

That's not exactly what I expected. Wasn't he supposed to be a middle-aged man with glasses and a stern facial expression? I didn't know, someone with experience? This guy barely looked in his mid-twenties.

He offered me a handshake and I couldn't help but notice the chartreuse green in his orbs sparkling a shade softer under the lighting — an almost hypnotizing color. "Nice to meet you, Ms. Brooks."