16. The A Team

Monday came, and with it the usual flood of whispers and rumours

Monday came, and with it the usual flood of whispers and rumours. Not just about me, but the petite girl who was now by my side: Azura. Being new in the last year of high school wasn't common. Add that to her bubbly personality and people had nothing better to do than talk and judge. I would have thought she would have found it intimidating or it would make her more nervous, but she handled it better than I ever did. She walked passed everyone with her head held high, a bounce in her step.

Once we had talked to the people in the main office, I showed her where the lockers were. Her locker was right at the end of the row, being the last person to receive a key. Opening my locker, a piece of paper falls out and lands by my feet. I quickly shove the folders I was holding into my locker and pick the paper up off the floor. My name was written on the front in a messy scrawl. Opening it, I read the note:

Hey Jessica. Rehearsal at 4 in the music department. Don't be late!

Kyle :)

That was not what I was expecting. Let's just say I haven't had the best experience with notes in my locker in the past. I couldn't help the small smile that appeared on my face after reading the note. I was finally doing something with my life. I finally had people I could call my friends. Finally, I wasn't hiding in the shadows anymore. Finally, I wasn't alone.

"What's got you smiling at this ungodly hour of the morning?"

Azura was not a morning person. Even though she always wore a smile, this morning I could tell she was forcing it. That and the fact she would not quit complaining about how she had to get up at seven. I didn't bother to tell her that I had been up since three having only fallen asleep around midnight.

"Come on, it's only half eight. And I got a note from Kyle about a rehearsal after school."

"OMG that's great! Can I come and watch? I would love to hear you sing, especially since it's your first rehearsal."

I loved Azura's enthusiasm. I had explained my situation at school to her yesterday when we had met up at the café. Needless to say, she's been way too excited to hear me sing since then.

"Actually, having you there would probably stop me from being so nervous," I told her honestly, happy I had someone I could openly talk to besides my brother.

"Don't worry about being nervous. You're amazing from what I've heard you tell me," she says as she pulls me into a side hug.

"I told you I could sing. I never told you that I was some amazing singer bound to be the next Beyonce," I exclaim, laughing at the way she twisted my words.

"I'm sure you could be. You never know," she says with a wink, making me laugh even more.

"Me? The next Beyonce? Not a chance! I can barely dance!"

"Of course she could never be the next Beyonce. I mean, have you seen her? She's nothing."

The one person I was hoping to avoid today saunters up to me and Azura, her posse following closely behind.