2. Hallelujah

Walking down the corridor was like getting chased by a bee: you never know when it's going to sting

Anxious to get to class, I walked as quickly as I could, keeping my head low, not daring to look anyone in the eye. Just in case.

My heart was racing a mile a minute by the time I sat down for my first lesson. My eyes darted around the classroom, suspicious of everyone. Every beep of someone's phone sent a jolt of panic down my spine. The rest of class was exactly the same. The whole way through I was tense, expecting someone to shout something out, to start playing the video, to confront me.

The second period crawled by. Every minute had the knot in my stomach getting tighter and tighter, squeezing painfully.

Deep down, I knew that this wasn't a bad thing. I wanted to be famous one day, to be able to sing in front of crowds and release albums with my own songs. At the rate I was going, that would never happen. I would be like that bee chasing me: crushed.

The bell went, signalling break. Normally the last person out the class, I surprised even myself when I made it through the door before everyone else. But I didn't care. I had to find Ethan. I had to know what was going on, if anyone had actually seen the video.

I raced towards the cafeteria, his usual hangout spot with his friends. It was no surprise that Ethan had many friends, there was never a time when people didn't like him. Pair that with his good looks and easy-going manner, and you can practically see the trail of love sick girls following him constantly.

Reaching his table, I tapped him on the shoulder, being cautious as to not attract attention to myself. The last thing I wanted to do was embarrass Ethan in front of his friends. Again.

When he finally turned round to look at me, I jerked my head towards the door, a silent request that he follow. Without looking behind to see if he was there, I left the cafeteria, waiting beside the lockers.

"What's up sis?"

"How many people have seen the video?" I ask, the tone of my voice wiping his slight smile off his face.

"No one," was his reply.

"What do you mean "no one"? I saw you post it!"

"You seriously need to relax, Jess. I removed it after you got mad at me. I don't like it when you're upset."

"Oh," was all I could say.

"Well, I should go," he says, ruffling my hair on his way back to the cafeteria. "See you later sis!" He shouts behind him.

My stomach churns as soon as he is out of sight. I should be happy. Ecstatic. Elated even. But I can't stop the disappointment that floods through me. I know, deep down, that I wanted someone, anyone, to see that video, to notice me, to come up to me and say what an amazing voice I have. Deep down, I know that my brother was just looking out for me. I know that it's not his fault. I know I should have left it. Maybe if I had I would be in a completely different situation.

***

My curse could be heard right at the front of the class. A few heads turned to face me, giving me a mixture of annoyed, confused and amused looks. But that wasn't the problem. Oh no, my problem was much bigger than that. Any teen would probably be in a state of panic if they were in my position right now. The problem was... I had left my phone in my previous class.

I groan silently as I pack up my bag, getting prepared for my search. Of all things, it had to be my phone. I couldn't even let Ethan know that I would be running late to take him home. How did I even lose it in the first place? It's not like me to just leave something behind.

The bell rings, signalling the end of the day. The crowds moved swiftly, everyone eager to get out of school. I made my way towards the classroom, humming hallelujah under my breath. There was something about that song that made it such a good one to sing. The emotion. The passion. It was as though when you sang it, it was solely for you. It took you to another world where you could be lost in your thoughts forever, reliving happy moments again and again, over and over until you break out of it's powerful spell.

Entering the classroom, I find it empty. I do a silent cheer in my head. One less obstacle for me.

With no one here, I closed the door and started singing hallelujah out loud. There was no reason for me to be shy or scared. No one was here to witness anything.

I looked under the tables and pieces of paper, the tune of the song making me almost oblivious to the world, to everything around me. I was just starting the final chorus when I spotted it, lying under the teacher's desk. How the hell did it get there? Picking it up, I cheered out loud.

Then the clapping began.

I whirled around. Standing by the door was the school's best musician and all round popular guy.

Jason Crosswell.

***
Like and comment!
Instagram: lozza03writes