4. Home Sweet Home

Walking down the corridor towards the front doors, my mind keeps repeating what I heard

Walking down the corridor towards the front doors, my mind keeps repeating what I heard. I've known Jessica since the start of primary school and she's never once shown an interest in music, let alone sung. Even though we weren't close, I still knew a bit about her, considering I've been in the same class as her for years. Of course I knew she had a twin brother, Ethan, who she was really close with. I've also known him since primary school, but we were never close. Her brother played football with the local team, along with one of my best mates, Kyle Henderson. Actually, now that I thought about it, I knew more about her brother and their relationship than I did about her.

Hopefully things will change.

Pushing open the doors, I walked to the back of the car park, pulling out my keys from my jacket pocket. Running a hand along the side of my motorcycle, I make my way to the back where I had a compartment attached. Pulling out my helmet, I place it on my head before putting my bag where my helmet was previously. Locking the compartment I walk back to the front of my Suzuki SV650, flipping my leg over it before starting it up. For a second hand motorcycle, she sure was a prize.

I'd saved up for months to be able to afford this beauty. I spent most weekends performing gigs at weddings, events, concerts, teaching kids to play the guitar, babysitting my neighbours. It may have taken me a while but I didn't mind. I was doing something I loved in the process. The money was just an added bonus.

It takes me about fifteen minutes to get home. I may not live close to the school but I'm basically next door to the town's centre. The building was the heart of the town, hosting sports with its gym, hall, studios and playing field, concerts and events with the stage and youth clubs with the rec room it had, along with the community kitchen. The centre was the heart and soul of the town.

Riding along the street, I pass the centre, shining brightly with all its lights. A few buildings later I arrive at my destination. Kyle's house. Kyle is my best friend. We've known each other since before nursery. We're basically brothers we're that close. When my life was falling apart and I didn't have anywhere to go, his family took me in and continued to raise me like their own son. I owe everything to Kyle and his family.

Parking in the large driveway next to the two cars already parked there, I hopped off my bike and, after grabbing my things, made my way inside. The Henderson house was fairly big, one of the new modern houses that were built a few years before. The exterior was white with pale stones surrounding the bottom in a weird sort of jigsaw. As beautiful as the exterior was, the interior never failed to blow me away. The whole place was bright and welcoming, with white walls covered in family photos and colourful artwork. South African tribal rugs covered the wooden laminate floors and cream carpets, and large windows allowed floods of natural light into the already warm and light house.

I took my shoes off at the door, placing them on the shoe rack before making my way through to the kitchen. The amazing smell of Annika's special homemade Cape Malay curry hit me as soon as I opened the kitchen door.

"Smells divine Annika," I say in welcome to Kyle's mum as I make my way over to her at the stove.

"Ah, Jason! You're home just in time!" she says as she turns to face me, pulling me into a hug.

"Is there anything I can help with?"

"Ja. Go call Amelia and Kyle down to help set the table. Dinner will be ready soon."

Making my way back out the kitchen, I jog up two flights of stairs, making a detour to my room to dump my stuff before going across the hallway and knocking on Kyle's bedroom door. "Annika says you need to get your butt downstairs and help set the table for dinner," I call out through the door before making my way down a flight of stairs and onto the first floor.

Right at the end of the hallway was Amelia's room, her pink door standing out from the white surrounding it. I knock gently on her door to let her know I was there before opening the door and walking into the room. I found her sitting at the small desk in the corner of her room doing her homework, a look of concentration on her face.

"Hey Lia," I say quietly, walking over to her desk and leaning against it.

She quickly looks up, her face lighting up with a big grin when she sees me. "Jay-Jay!" she says happily, jumping off her chair and giving me a tight hug.

I laugh at her reaction, lifting her into the air before squeezing her back. "You ready for dinner?" I ask setting her back on the ground.

"Yup! I was just finishing my fractions homework. Do we need to set the table?"

"Yeah, dinner won't be long so we need to get everything ready. Let's go." I hold her hand as we walk down the stairs and into the dining room, Kyle surprisingly already there setting out the cutlery. Normally it takes a bit more persuading for him to get out of his room and help.

Five minutes later we were all seated around the table with plates full of steaming hot Cape Malay curry. "Is Xolani not joining us?" I ask Annika, looking at the vacant seat at the head of the table.

"He is working late tonight. His job is working him too much," she replies in a sad tone. "Anyway, lets dig in. We don't want the food to go cold now."

We eat quietly, making small talk here and there, asking about each other's day and so on. I was talking to Amelia about her school work when Kyle decides to bring up the post on my feed. "So Jason, who's this mystery girl you're so keen on having join our band?"

I could feel everyone's eyes on me as soon as he asked. "A girl is joining your band?" Annika asks, curiosity lacing her voice.

"Is she pretty?" Amelia asks with excitement, her eyes bright.

Swallowing the food I was eating, I look up at Kyle. "Her name is Jessica and I heard her singing when I walked passed one of the classrooms. Her voice is honestly incredible. I'm meeting her in the music department after school tomorrow to discuss possibly joining the band."

He looks at me thoughtfully for a moment before shrugging his shoulders and giving me a smile. "I trust you. She better be as good as you say though."

"Don't worry, she won't let you down."

***
Like and comment!
Instagram: lozza03writes