9. Runaway Baby

Oh my goodness

Oh my goodness.

Oh my goodness.

Oh. My. Goodness.

This was it. I was now singing with the band for the first time. I'm so nervous! What if I mess up? What if the rest of the band think I'm a bad singer, that I have a bad voice? This was my chance to break through the wall holding me back! What am I thinking? I can't do this!

"-Jessica! Jess!"

"What?" I ask, snapping out of my thoughts, eyes looking up to see Jason in front of me, worry on his face.

"Are you ok?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Why do you ask?"

"Well, I was asking what song you wanted to sing, but you never answered. When I turned around you had stopped walking and your face had gone pale. Are you sure you want to do this?"

I felt my cheeks heat up from his sudden concern. "Yeah, I'm sure. About the song I want to sing. Do you guys know 'Runaway Baby' by Bruno Mars?"

Jason's eyes light up. "Yes!"

"Great! Let's do it!" I say, trying to sound confident when in reality, I was about two seconds away from a nervous breakdown.

We walked back to the guys, gathering in a huddle to discuss the next song. "Alright! Everyone should know this song. If you don't, improvise. It's a simple four four beat in the key of E minor. Try and keep up. Jessica," he points at me, "will be the lead vocalist. Any questions?"

Everyone shakes their heads, anxious to get started. A ball of nerves had knotted itself in my stomach. I wasn't sure if I could do this. I had never sang in front of people before. Well, except my brother.

"Alright then, show time!"

They all return to their instruments, switching them back on and tuning them up again. Jason walks over, putting his hand on my arm and squeezing lightly. "You've got this. Just pretend no one's watching."

"What if I'm not good enough?" I say quietly, my voice catching slightly. "What if I let you guys down, or everyone thinks I'm rubbish?" I was in full blown panic mode now. I slowly started to retreat, holding my head in my hands. All I wanted to do was run back home and dive under my duvet, never to come out. At least I wouldn't have people staring at me.

"Hey hey hey, calm down. It's ok, trust me." Pulling me into his arms, he hugs me whilst whispering in my ear, reassuring me, calming me, convincing me that I'm good enough. "You are amazing. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

I let out a shaky breath, pulling myself away from him. "Thank you," I say, staring into his eyes, my face turning a furious red.

Finally getting my legs to move, I walked up to the microphone at the front of the band. I quickly turned to look back at Jason who was standing just behind me. He gave me a slight nod and a wink, his secret way of telling me to 'go get 'em!'

I heard the "one, two, one two three four!" of Kyle, hitting his sticks together to signal the start. Then they began playing. And I began singing.

"Well looky here looky here ah what do we have?
Another pretty thing ready for me to grab
But little does she know that I'm a wolf in sheeps clothing
'Cause at the end of the night it is her I'll be holding"

It felt weird. That was the best word to describe it. There was a tingling in my stomach, a rush running to my brain. This feeling was amazing. The more I kept singing, the more confident I became.

"Run run runaway, runaway baby
Before I put my spell on you
You better get get getaway, getaway darling
'Cause everything you heard is true
You poor little heart will end up alone
'Cause lord knows I'm a rolling stone
So you better run run runaway, runaway baby"

This was amazing! Nothing could match this feeling! I had taken the microphone from the stand and started to walk around, walking up to the different band members, running a hand over their shoulder or through their hair. I did whatever I felt like the right thing was, going with the flow and feeling of the song.

"Well let me think, let me think, ah what should I do?
So many eager young bunnies that I'd like to pursue
Now even though they're eating out the palm of my hand
There's only one carrot and they all gotta share it!"

I went up to Jason, putting a hand on his shoulder and leaning into his side. He started singing back up into the mic, his voice mixing with mine perfectly.

"I love you so (I love you so)
That's what you'll say (That's what you'll say)
You'll tell me baby, baby please don't go away (don't go away)
But when I play (when I play), I never stay (I never stay)
To every girl that I meet here, this is what I'll say"

"Run run runaway, runaway baby
Before I put my spell on you
You better get get getaway, getaway darling
'Cause everything you heard is true
You poor little heart will end up alone
'Cause lord knows I'm a rolling stone
So you better run run runaway, runaway baby"

I walked back over to Jason, swaying my hips a bit more than usual. I started walking in a circle around him when I sang the next verse, sometimes brushing my fingers across his body, putting on a show for the crowd that had started to form around us.

"See I ain't tryna hurt you baby
No no no I just want to work you baby
See I ain't tryna hurt you baby
No no no I just want to work you baby"

The whole band joined in with the next part, repeating the appropriate lines, shouting it out. Even Kyle decided to join in.

"If you are scared, you better run (you better run)
You better run, (you better run)
You better, you better, you better"

The crowed had started clapping along, some cheering and whistling in the back. When it came to the last line, Jason sang into the mic with me.

"So you better run run runaway, runaway baby!"

The crowd went crazy. I couldn't believe it! It was like a dream! I just stood there, starstruck as the crowds applause and cheers washed over me. My cheeks were starting to hurt from the continuous smile spread there, never once faltering.

Kyle and Jason came beside me on either side, each taking one of my hands. As we all formed a line, we raised our connected hands in the air and took a bow, absorbing the crowds cheers. After the third one, we all headed back to our spots, ready for the next song.

"So how was it?" Jason asked, coming up to the mic with me.

"Honestly, I've never experienced anything like it. It's unreal."

"Get used to it, cause you just became the newest member of Take Five!"

***
Like and comment!
Instagram: lozza03writes