14. Strike Me a Pose

The journey home was very uneventful

The journey home was very uneventful. Ethan said nothing, far more interested in scrolling through his phone than starting a conversation with me. Not that I minded. I was more than happy to drive in silence whilst I thought about the looming conversation ahead. I hadn't given a straight answer before when he had asked why I had reacted that way. He knew that and I knew that. The problem was though that I had no idea why I had reacted the way I did. It was like I had suddenly snapped.

Pulling into the driveway, I quickly switch the engine off and step out the car. Grabbing my stuff from the back, I make my way to the front door, unlocking it and stepping through into the hallway, not bothering to check if Ethan was following me in. Racing upstairs, I jog across the landing and into my room, shutting the door behind me.

My room wasn't small by any means, but you wouldn't consider it huge like the ones you see in movies. It was bright and cosy, with a queen sized double bed in the middle against the left wall, a mountain of pillows and thick blankets strewed over the duvet. The opposite wall was hidden behind a giant shelf shaped like a giant 'n' around the desk with a TV hanging above it, filled with books, CD's, stationary and small ornaments. The bottom of the shelf contained multiple drawers, the right side a wardrobe with a full length mirror on the door. The wall facing the door was half taken over by a giant window facing over the back garden, sunlight streaming in through the gap in the flowing white curtains covering it.

I walk over to my bedside table, setting my timer for 30 minutes. If I wanted to be ready for school on time I would have to be quick. Once in my ensuite bathroom I strip out of my sweaty clothes and chuck them in the hamper by the bathroom door. Grabbing a towel, I lay it on the floor before stepping into the shower, turning it on and adjusting the temperature.

Five minute later, I'm standing in front of my wardrobe contemplating what to wear. It was warm out so I decided on some blue denim dungaree shorts with a plain white long sleeved top, a cropped black hoodie and some white converse. Cute but simple.

My alarm went off just as I was closing by rucksack, immediately shutting off when I slammed my hand on top of it. I rush down the stairs, careful not to trip again and make my way into the kitchen, grabbing a granola bar from the cupboard. I grab my keys from the bowl in the hall, calling Ethan before opening the front door. He casually strolls down the stairs as if he has all the time in the world, still ignoring me as he walks out the front door and into the passenger side of the car. I proceed to quickly lock the front door before following Ethan into the car.

The ride to school was as silent as the ride back home, Ethan again engrossed in his phone. Turning the radio on didn't help dissipate the tense silence between us. I wanted nothing more than for us to be singing along to the songs together, no matter how bad they were or we were. But that wasn't going to happen any time soon unless I gave him an explanation, something I was still working through in my head.

It took ten agonizing minutes to get to the school, they drive feeling like it went on for an eternity. Neither of us moved. Neither of us said a word. Surprisingly, we still had fifteen minutes until the bell went. Normally we would be rushing to get to our lockers and ease the loads in our bags before class started and we'd be late.

I look over to Ethan, studying him as he looked out the window. His usually styled light brown hair was messy, like he'd run his hands through it many times. His brow was furrowed, the happy demeanour he normally had replaced with a thoughtful, more downcast one.

Ugh. This is all my fault.

"I'm sorry if the prank was too much. You didn't deserve that," I say through the silence, gaining his attention. "I'm not quite sure how to word this, or that it will even make any sense. I'm still working through why I suddenly just blew up," I start rambling, not wanting to go back to the agonizing silence that was between us before.

"Jessica," Ethan says in a humoured tone, grabbing my hand to stop me waving it around as I rambled. "It's OK. Just try your best."

I let out a sigh, giving him a small smile as I nodded. "I guess everything was just building up you know. I don't think I was coping very well with everything going on. I mean, its only the first week of school and I'm already snapping!" I choke out a laugh, trying to stop the emotions flooding through me. I didn't want to cry. Not now. "I think you pulling that prank was the last straw. Everything just burst, you know? I'm really sorry I took it all out on you. I didn't mean for it to get so out of hand." I couldn't hold the tears in any longer. Slowly, the started to fall down my face. And I just let them. I couldn't hide how I felt from Ethan any more. Especially when it results in me putting it all on him when things finally become too much.

Using his free hand, Ethan wipes the tears from my face, giving me a sad smile. "You know I'll listen if you want to talk to me, right? You don't have to let it come to this."

"I know. I just don't want to burden you with all of my problems."

"Jessica, I don't care about that. As long as you feel better, I'm totally fine with it. What's the point of me being your twin brother if I can't carry things for you, huh?" He says with a laugh.

I laugh along with him, pulling him in for a hug and burying my face in his shoulder. "Thank you," I say quietly, not wanting to ruin the moment.

"Any time."

We sit there for a couple of minutes, just holding each other. I didn't realise how much I needed to talk to someone about my troubles until now. As annoying and insufferable as Ethan is, I was lucky to have him as my brother.

"Oh!" I exclaim, breaking out of the hug and moving back into the centre of my seat. "Give me your phone," I all but demand Ethan.

"OK..." He says wearily, slowly handing me his phone.

I take it out of his hand, unlocking it and going onto his feed. From my phone I send the pictures I had taken earlier to Ethan's phone which will instantly save to his gallery. A minute later, I hand Ethan his phone back, grinning at him. "It is done."

"What is done? Jessica, what did you do?" Ethan asks nervously as he frantically opens his phone. Looking over his shoulder at his screen, I saw the newest feed posted by him. On it was him posing in nothing but a tiny pink towel with the caption Strike Me a Pose.

"You can't delete it!" I shout over my shoulder with a laugh, bolting out of the car.

"Jessica!" is the last thing I hear before I rush into school.

I am so dead when I get home.

***
Like and comment!
Instagram: lozza03writes