5. Look What The Cat Dragged In

The bell rang, signalling the end of the day

The bell rang, signalling the end of the day. Chairs scraped across the floor, bags were hauled onto backs, people were laughing and making evening plans.

I made my way over to the music department, wondering if it was all a joke. Did Jason really want me in his band? I would be the only girl. And he was already the lead vocalist, as well as an incredible guitarist.

What would I be? Who would I be?

My mind whirled as I pushed through the door, walking into the racket of music. Straight into the looming figure of Georgia Rose.

"Well, well, well. Look what the cat dragged in," she says, smirking down at me.

Georgia was extremely tall, the tallest girl in school. She had the figure, the legs, the appeal and a trail of love sick puppies and broken hearts the length of the Nile. She was right at the top of the food chain. Nobody crossed her. Nobody spoke back at her. You were either her friend, 'friend' or nobody.

You can probably guess which one I am.

I threw a smirk straight back at her, and replied. "Clearly it dragged in a tall, blonde brat with extensions and no heart."

Her face hardened, eyes turning to slits. Nobody stood up to her and didn't pay. I was used to it. There was no one to stand up for me, so I had to do it myself.

"Listen here, Jes-snake-a. I've warned you before, and I'll warn you again. Don't talk to me like that, or you'll regret it. We all know what happened last time." Once again, that smirk appeared on her lips.

Last time seemed like a long time ago. The nickname "Jes-snake-a" came from it. They put a snake in my locker, so when I opened it, the snake slithered down my arm and over my shoulders. My guess is that they hoped I hated snakes: I didn't.

"Look, I don't know what hole you crawled out of, but I suggest crawling back in it," I start, my patience slowly running out. "I'm sure that your hole is better than the spot reserved for you in hell."

The sound of clapping could be heard from behind Georgia. The slow, sarcastic type used only to annoy people. Stepping through the doorway of one of the classrooms came Jason. The pissed look on Georgia's face instantly disappeared. Everyone knew she wanted him. Everyone except her knew that he didn't want her. And it was the funniest thing ever.

"Honeybuns!" She squealed, throwing her arms around his neck.

It took every ounce of will power not to burst out laughing, but one look at Jason's horror stricken face had me howling. I could feel Georgia's beady eyes on me, but I couldn't stop. It was hilarious!

"Honeybuns?!" I spluttered, failing to maintain my composure.

"Is there a problem, Burns?" Georgia spits at me.

My laughter died, my face becoming stone cold. "Yeah, you," I say, holding her stare. "Honestly, I don't know who you think you are, but everyone can tell that Jason doesn't like you. Seriously, either open your eyes or take your ass down to Specsavers."

She just stood there, eyes wide, mouth opening and closing like a fish. I turn my gaze over to Jason, finding a surprised look covering his face, before it dissolved into a massive grin.

Turning my gaze back to Georgia, I say, "I think we're done here. Goodbye." And with that I walked towards Jason, knocking my shoulder against hers as I passed her.

"Shall we get going?" I ask him, making sure Georgia saw the grin I gave him.

"Absolutely," he said, grinning back at me. "After you," he says, holding the classroom door open for me.

"What a gentleman!" I say to him jokingly. He sends a wink my way, the grin never leaving his face.

Stepping into the room, I check out my surroundings. It had been a while since I had been in this classroom.

Desks were set around the room in a big semi-circle sort of thing, so everyone was facing the front. There were lines of guitars on the walls and shelves of small xylophones and glockenspiels. Keyboards were placed on the tables that lined the walls around the sides of the classroom, and upfront were two whiteboards and a smart board, one of the whiteboards with lines across it for writing up music. Sat in the corner was a lone drum kit.

The amount of musical instruments and sheets of music strewn around the classroom amazed me. It was comforting. It made me feel at home, like this was where I belonged.

"Welcome to the place where all your dreams will come true!"

***
Like and comment!
Instagram: lozza03writes