Chapter 11: Surviving the Cut

Emiyo's P.O.V

We were now gathered in the arena waiting to hear the explanation of the 3rd exam. I looked around and saw that all of the Rookies made it to the third exam.

"First off all, congratulations on finishing the second exam!" Anko spoke, I had no idea what the next exam was going to be.

"Woah, everybody's here." I heard Naruto's voice say.

"Hmph, I don't have a really good feeling about this."I heard Sauske say.

"Old man hokage, Iruka sensei, and even bushier brow sensei. It looks like absolutely nobody got left out this time." Naruto said.

"Alright, now pay attention. Lord hokage is going to explain the third exam to you. You better listen closely, maggots." Anko said.

"Lord hokage they're all yours." She spoke, now facing Lord 3rd. Lord 3rd stepped forward, Anko now standing in his old spot. He cleared his throat before talking,

"Before I tell you all what the third exam entails, I want to explain something about the test itself. Listen closely, now, it's something that all of you need to understand. I'm going to tell you about the true purpose of these exams." Lord Hokage explained. "Why do you suppose our country holds these exams in conjunction with our allies?"

I felt the answer rise to my throat, but to let the Hokage explain since It wasn't my job to explain it to them. That was the Hokage job.

"To raise the ability level of the shinobi and friendship between allied nations, but you must understand it's the true meaning, the exams are so to speak." I don't think I've ever been more confused in my life. "There are representations of the battle between allied nations." Lord 3rd finished,

"And what's that supposed to mean?" I heard Tenten's question.

"Now, if we look at our history, all the countries that were currently allied with were once neighboring nations that continuously fought with each other for more power."

I started to zone out not seeing a reason to listen to the rest of this lecture since I already understand everything he.as talking about.

When I finally zone back in, some guy stood in front of us. Coughing up a storm...

"Before we start the 3rd exam, there's something I want for you all to do." He said.

'So there more before starting the 3rd exam?' I thought focusing my attention on the guy in speaking.

"Uh, what?" Sakura questioned.

"Preliminary?! Just what do you mean by that?" Shikamaru questioned.

"I'm sorry, sensei excuse me. But I really don't see the point," Sakura said. "What's the preliminary all about? Why can't we just move on to the third exam?" She questioned.

"Uh, well you see... The first and second exams might've been too easy, the fact is, we never expected so many of you to still be here. According to the rules of the chunin exams a preliminary round can be held at any stage, to reduce the number of candidates remaining." The guy answered.

"B-but... Is that fair?" Sakura questioned.

"It's just that, at this stage, we have to speed things up a bit. As Lord hokage said, a lot of important guests will be watching, we can't afford to waste their time." I nodded.

"They've come to only see the best. So if there are any of you who feel they're not ok; top, psychical condition nows your chance to-" he paused to cough.

'Talk about not being in top physical condition.'

"Sorry about that, as I was saying, any of you who don't feel up to this, nows the time for you to bow out. The preliminaries will be starting immediately." He said.

"Oh- cmon! You mean right now?!" Kiba questioned. I rolled my eyes.

"Of course he means right now," I said.

"We just finished barely surviving the last exam, don't we get a break?" Ino questioned.

"Man, what a drag."

"Hey, when do we eat?" I heard Choji groan.

"Oh yeah, uh, the way the winners will be determined by one on one combat, sudden death. So like I said if there's anyone who doesn't feel up to it nows the time to raise your hand."

'I doubt that anyone is going to quit. We all work so hard to get this far.' I thought as I saw Sakura yelling at Sauske about something while he was holding his shoulder, before starting to raise her hand until the guy name Kabuto brought his hand up.

"Okay, you got me, I'm out," Kabuto said.

"But.. Kabuto." I heard Naruto say, the guy coughed flipping a page on his clipboard.

"Kabuto, Yakushi? Of the leaf village, right? Ok, you can go on and step back." The guy said.

"Gotcha," Kabuto replied, I blinked.

'Why he dropping out?'

"Kabuto!" Naruto exclaimed as Kabuto walked away.

"Hold on a second! You can't quit! I don't get this, what's going on?!" Naruto exclaimed.

"Oh, Naruto. I'm sorry, but my bodies just too beat up. I can't hack it, the fact is ever since orientation when I dusted up with the sound village team, I've had no hearing at all in my left ear. And now to have to put my life on the line, to fight again, right away without a break? I can't do it." Kabuto answered, now Naruto seemed down. Kabuto gave him a close eye smile and a wave before walking away. A cough made us all turn back around.

'That odd his hearing seems fine, but whatever not my problem.'

"Now then, does anybody else wanna quit?" He asked.

After a while of nobody raising their hand, he continued.

"Alright then. We'll now begin the preliminary rounds. The rounds will consist of 1 on 1 individual combat, at full battle intensity. This is not an exercise, there are 22 of you remaining. So that means we will need 11 matches, the surviving candidates from these 11 matches will advance to the 3rd exam. As for the rules, there are none. You will fight until 1 dies or concedes to defeat, or is rendered psychically incapable of continuing the contest. Naturally, those who are losing will admit defeat in avoiding a fatal outcome. Furthermore, as the proctor, I'm given a certain amount of leeway in judging the matches. I might occasionally stop a match that seems hopeless, to save as many lives as possible. Now it's time to reveal what fate has been chosen for you." He spoke, turning towards the wall behind them.

Anko spoke something into her mic before this weird blue wall began sliding up, revealing a screen.

"The name of each pair of opponents will be chosen completely at random. Before each match, these names will appear on display behind me. As there's nothing more to say, let's begin. In a moment, the names of the first 2 opponents will appear," the guy spoke.  On the screen, it showed,

-1st match-
Yoroi Akado Vs.Sasuke Uchiha

🐕🐕🐕

Hey lovely readers!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Also, don't forget to comment, and vote.

A/N: I'm not sure how I will play out the fights in the story. If you have any suggestions let me know.

Q: What was your favorite part of this chapter?

Q: Who should Emiyo fight during her match?

Q: How do you think the fights should play out?

Thank you for reading 🧡🧡🧡