[18] Talent Show Terror (Part 1)

| Fresh

This was literally the most embarrassing moment of my entire life.

I quickly scrambled off of PJ, blue as a Smurf and as embarrassed as a bird without any feathers (wait, what--)

'oops. guess that was a nice supplies, huh?' Sans winked at me lazily as I practically squeaked in humiliation. Oh. My. Stars. Can't someone just kill me already!? Not subject me to a lunch skelly's non-understandable puns after I received enough embarrassment to last a lifetime!

'God, Sans, that was terrible,' PJ groaned in exasperation, pulling himself up into a sitting position. His cheekbones were a light magenta, so he must have been embarrassed, too. Except that he did a much better job of hiding it than I did. And by that I mean, way better.

'SANS, REALLY! THAT WAS ONE OF YOUR WORSE PUNS,' I heard Papyrus chide his older brother, then turn his attention to me. 'ARE YOU ALL RIGHT, FRESH?' He reached out a hand to help me up from where I was trying to sink through the floor and disappear forever. 

I couldn't bring myself to speak properly; all that came out was a squeak of, 'Y-yes!' as I took his hand and got to my feet. How could I even look at PJ after that--

Suddenly came the highest squeal I've ever heard in my entire life. 

'Oh my gosh! Are you two a couple!? PJ, why didn't you tell me!?'

 Slowly, I turned to see...

Cil...practically bouncing up and down on the spot with excitement, pink mop of hair flopping in front of his skull and probably obstructing his vision, but he clearly didn't give a freak about that, instead directing his starry gaze at his brother and me.

The blush on my skull that had faded away earlier now came back in full force.

'Uh, C-Cil, n-no, we're n-not a co-co-c--' I struggled to get the words out, feeling my body freeze up. 

'Little bro,' PJ sighed. 'What did I tell you about jumping to conclusions?'

How is that jock not affected by what happened at all!?

'We're not together,' he added, glancing at me. 'Right, klutz? It was just a-an accident.'

'BUT,' Papyrus looked confused. 'I DON'T UNDERSTAND. HOW DOES HUGGING WITH YOUR FACES MAKE YOU A COUPLE?'

I gawped, Smurf cosplay vanishing as I stared at my friend.

Oh, come on. There's no way he couldn't know--

'uh, i'll tell ya later, pap. it's nearly time for your class, so let's go,' Sans said, winking at me again as he walked away with his brother in tow.

'SEE YOU LATER, FRESH! I HOPE YOU AND PJ WORK OUT YOUR RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS, WITH FACE-HUGGING OR OTHERWISE!' said cheery skeleton turned and waved at me before running off down the corridor. 

Wh-what--

Cil laughed slightly. 'Papyrus is so awesome.'

He turned to me and crossed his arms, a frown (eerily similar to that of his brother's) on his skull. 

'Now. What even happened? I'm kinda disappointed that you guys aren't together, but never mind that...I came to look for you because Papyrus told me that you weren't in class. And Papa would get really mad at PJ if he thought he was skipping classes.'

I cleared my non-existent throat. 'Well, the thing is, Mr. Ink told us to look for his paintbrush in the janitor's closet, and someone locked us in...I think.'

PJ scoffed. 'I'll bet it was Undyne, that stupid Gill-Face.'

'Oh!' Cil sounded shocked. 'Wow! That...that sucks. Do you really think Undyne would do that? That's so mean...'

'I wouldn't put it past her,' PJ grumbled. 'Come on, Fresh. Let's just get back to class. Oh, and tell the others thanks for letting us out.'

'No problem!' Cil grinned at us. 'Bye!'

I waved as he skipped away happily. 

...I don't even know what just happened.

'Oh, there it is,' PJ spoke, picking up a giant paintbrush that was twice my height holystars--

'Let's go,' he slung it over his shoulders as he began to make his way to Mr. Ink's class.

'Yeah, I-- just give me a minute,' I said quietly, overwhelmed. 

'Uh...okay. See ya later, then,' PJ smiled at me as he went off.

Left alone, I sighed. Honestly, I don't even know what to feel right now.

I was on the verge of panicking like a headless chicken when I saw a notebook lying half out of the closet. Huh. Curious, I went over and picked it up. Its pages were already open to somewhere in the middle.

'I have been here for an hour, watching rain fall melancholy, on panes and regrets- I can neither conquer nor break,' I read aloud, disbelief growing with each line. 

Woah. Who could have written like this? Were they...poems?

'The endless sweep of the waves calls musically, heralding the crash of the tides; a pale violet reaches towards the horizon, intertwined with a faded lapis blue- 

Ringed by the sun's fire, a stillness accompanies its setting, a brilliant amber and green of spring seem to perceive that blue sea. And the cry of the waves, endlessly longs for the light once again,' I read more.

Flipping the pages back to the very start, I stared at the name with shock.

'This book is PJ's!?'

(Me: Okay, so I guess the fact that it's PJ's name in the book isn't really a surprise 0.0. Anyway, I had to use my own poems in this (from Lost Tides; it's on my profile XD) since I would have gotten accused of copyright otherwise. Hope you enjoyed the chapter! I'll try to update soon ^^)