'Alima

The tour group is still there, wandering across the lava fields. Hika follows them, if only to make sure that she'll be able to use the bus to get back. The normal buses don't get up here as often as the tour buses and as much as she'd love to hang out at Kilauea, being stuck here for a few hours isn't as fun.

The bus rides themselves are already long enough. The guide notices her lingering at the back and pales again, shifting to the outside of the tour group, as far from her as he can get. Hika sighs. You'd think that the people here wouldn't be so apprehensive about the members of Hika's 'ohana, considering their past interactions.

But no, they're afraid of her. The divide caused by time is growing, and it's growing quickly. This is why her family was so apprehensive of her traveling, why she has to pretend to be normal all the time. The world can't take it anymore, they don't believe. When they can't refute what they see, they twist it into fear.

She wants to give the poor man space, but that won't help. It would give him power, in a way. The knowledge that Hika, who he knows carries the blood of the old gods, bent to his wishes? That could be a dangerous thing. Heady even. So instead of backing away, Hika walks toward the group with her head held high.

Most of them don't notice her presence, besides the tour guide. A few look curiously at her, murmuring among themselves. There is one younger girl clutching a large book in her hands, perhaps around the age of eight. She looks up at Hika with bright blue eyes, shining amidst her wild mass of strawberry-blond hair.

"How are you doing that?" The girl has a slight accent with some small similarities to the Hawaiian language that normal English doesn't have, although her words come out a bit softer than most.

"Doing what?"

"You're fine in the heat. It's so warm yet you aren't even sweating." The girl frowns. "Are you a fire giant?"

Hika laughs. "Aren't fire giants supposed to be big? Giant is in their name, after all."

The girl tilts her head from side to side, thinking. "I don't think that's true."

"Why?"

"There can be mistranslations in names, right?"

"Yes . . ." Hika is starting to see where the girl is going with this.

"What if the original word wasn't giant, but that is the best English word we can translate it to?"

"You seem very sure of this."

The girl beams. "I know the original word. Jötunn translates better as nature spirit, but it is generally translated to 'giant' in English."

"That's very interesting. Do you know stories of a lot of giants?"

"Some. Surtr is a fire giant, although my favorite is Loki. He's so fascinating, especially the bit about Ragnarok."

"What is Ragnarok?"

"The end of days. It is believed to be the end of the gods. Some say that it has already come to pass, some say that Loki is still waiting for the time to be right. But . . ." the girl glances at Hika's skin again. "I'm not so sure now."

"Well, I'm not a fire giant. I promise. What are you reading?"

The girl extends the book to Hika, flipping it over to show the cover. It is very detailed, illustrating a lovely piece of Hika's family history. It's the one Hika had even just mentioned to her aunt, the story of Pele finding Kilauea. Hika smiles.

"How much have you read?"

"Most of it. Why do you think Namaka was so mean to her sister?"

Hika sighs. Of course this observant little girl would ask that question. "I think Nāmaka may have been jealous of her younger sister, or perhaps due to her connection with the water, she couldn't feel comfortable with what Pele was doing. It could have been rivalry of their respective elements as well, fire and water often don't get along."

"How do you know?"

Now Hika has to tread carefully. "I suppose you would have to ask Nāmaka herself to be sure, it's just a suspicion."

"Really?"

Hika frowns. "Why wouldn't it be?"

"Your hand."

Hika looks down to see her hand holding onto the book, with a flame still dancing on the tip. It's mercifully pointed away from the book, but the fire is still far too close for comfort. Hika quickly switches hands, tucking her burning hand away. The girl giggles.

"It's alright, I won't tell. Although you should probably cover your pocket."

Hika feels something shift in her breast pocket and she groans, remembering Moana. Of course she forgot, she doesn't normally carry a tiny animal around with her everywhere.

"Thank you for warning me. Now, it looks like it's time to go back to the bus."

The little girl groans. "But I don't want to go back! It's cool here."

"How about this. We go back to the bus, and I tell you something those books won't tell you."

The girl's eyes widen. "Deal!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Alima = five, when counting

What do you think of the girl? What will Hika tell her? What's going to happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out