Kanalima kūmālima

Loki halts at Jaak's reaction and looks like he is debating moving back the single step that he took. But he doesn't move back, he instead just stands there, looking lost.

"Jaak-"

Jaak shakes his head, reaching back towards Hika. She squeezes his hand, trying to calm him as he spits out the words. "Don't come near me. You killed her. She may be alive now, but you killed her."

Hika frowns at Loki from behind Jaak, peering over his shoulder. She shifts, hissing when something sharp digs into her hand. It's a piece of crystal, the jagged edge slicing into her hand. She pulls the crystal from her palm, wincing as it slides from her flash. Light flares around her hand and the red mar in her flesh seals itself again, leaving her palm unblemished.

"Jaak."

He glances back at her, his expression softening. "What is it?"

She raises the crystal to show him, nodding towards Loki. "He's healed, Jaak. He isn't going to hurt me."

"But he did."

"Before. You wanted him back, and now that he is himself again you aren't going to let him close? That's being cruel to you both."

Jaak sags and Hika dips her head towards Loki, hoping he interprets her meaning accurately. He takes a step towards them and Hika tugs on Jaak's arms.

"Can you let me up?"

Jaak stands and twists, reaching a hand down to Hika. She rises to her feet, stumbling as something seems to unfold against her back. Light streaks out into the world, flickering over the snow. She twists, trying to find the source. Something sweeps back from the corner of her eye and Hika turns again, trying to catch sight of it.

Someone grips onto her shoulder, stopping her in her tracks. It's Jaak, he's staring at her with something akin to astonishment in his eyes. His gaze raises to her forehead, where Hika feels the weight of the circlet change as it rests atop her hair, surprisingly unmoved by the actions of today.

The circlet grows heavier, the majority of the weight shifting to the front of her head, just above her brow. Jaak's mouth drops open and he raises his hand, touching the circlet. Hika frowns at him, shifting on her feet. She glances behind him to see that Loki too has stopped walking, staring at her with wide eyes. Hika's frown deepens.

"What's wrong?"

"You don't feel it?"

She shakes her head, bewildered. "What are you talking about?"

Jaak frowns thoughtfully and forms a disc of ice in the air, the back of its translucent surface becoming opaque and cloudy in order to show her reflection. Hika stares at the girl who looks back at her, not sure if she can believe her eyes. The person she sees in the ice mirror is made of light, her eyes dark coals.

She has a crown of flaming feathers on her head and behind her, there seems to be a flaming cape. It spreads out slightly as she watches, and Hika can feel her eyes widen further. It isn't a cape, massive wings are streaming out behind her, their tips streaming with blue sparks that blend within the fiery red ends of the wings themselves.

She reaches out to touch the ice mirror, its surface steaming at her touch. Thin cracks run along the surface of the ice from where Hika touched it and she quickly pulls her hand back. Her gaze flickers towards the ground, ashamed. Has she lost control of her powers? What is going on? Why, of all things, does she have wings?

She shifts on her feet and her ankle buckles in exhaustion. Hika stumbles forward, into Jaak's arms, already ready for her. When she looks up again, she finds him looking down. She does as well, finding a small smattering of familiar flowers to be peaking up from the snow. Their feathery tips glow in the wake of Hika's steps.

Jaak reaches to pick one and like they have done before, it crumbles to ash. There is the soft crunch of snow from behind them and Hika jumps, looking back to see Loki. He crouches beside Jaak and touches one of the flowers. Loki doesn't pick it, he just trails his fingertips against the soft tips of the feathery petals. Loki looks over at Jaak, frowning. Hika glances between them both.

"What is it?"

Jaak looks between the flower and Hika, his gaze repeatedly alighting on something just behind her, the wings of flame. His eyes widen, understanding flashing across his face. Hika is just about to ask him what he discovered when he whispers a single word.

"Firebird."

Hika's brow furrows. "What, Jaak?"

"You're a firebird. Or connected to them, at least." Jaak adds the last bit at Hika's shocked expression. "The wings of fire, the feather-like flowers, your crown, they all point to the firebirds."

"What is a firebird?"

Jaak blinks at her. "A . . . bird of fire. They are believed to be immortal." He shakes his head. "But I've never seen one, and the mythology about them is actually quite scarce."

"Then how can you know?"

He frowns. "I just do, actually. Perhaps it is connected to the knowledge I gained from Mimir's well."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kanalima kūmālima = fifty-five, when counting

What do you think of Hika's new look? What does it mean for her? Why do you think it happened? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out