'Umi kūmālua

The tiny star disappears from sight as Hika steps through the archway into the small chamber, tucking itself into her palm. She can't do anything about the sparks, she tried to get rid of them and they won't go, another bit of fire magic that escapes her control. Curling her fingers around the star to hide the tips doesn't help.

The sparks continue to stream out unimpeded, even from her more tightly-clenched hand, the one without the star. The chamber is mainly empty, full of stone structures and sculptures. There is artwork against one flat wall, carved into the stone. It shows three mountains in a line.

The centermost mountain has smoke curling from the top and a bridge carved before it. Hika touches the center mountain and a shower of sparks stream from her fingertips, shooting upward and making the mountain look like it's throwing fire. There is a soft laugh from somewhere else in the room.

"You know, that's quite accurate."

Hika turns to see a woman step out from the shadows, her face lightly lined but still beautiful, black hair hanging in a flat sheet.

"What do you mean?"

The woman steps closer, running her fingers over the side of the carving close to her. "That's this mountain, you know the name it bears now."

"Mt St. Helens."

"That's right. And its old name?"

"You're Loo-Wit?"

The woman dips her head. "I am. And you are the daughter of the lightning goddess that I've heard so much about."

"My name is Hi'ilani."

"Lovely."

Loo-Wit moves to stand in front of the center mountain, her fingers tracing the bridge. Now that she's closer, Hika can see that the woman's skin is crumbling and reforming, her fingers tipped with the mottled gray of stone.

"This is the bridge I gave fire to the two tribes on. Their leaders are now the two mountains beside me, forced to become so due to their own selfishness."

"And you?"

"I chose to become the mountain, I could no longer bear to keep my humanity."

Hika frowns. "But you-"

"Look human? I'm not, anymore. I'm taking this form now to speak with you, but I am still the mountain itself. This body I inhabit now is made of earth and stone. I could not leave in this form, it is just a representative of who I was and what I am. Now, tell me about those sparks of yours."

Hika frowns. "When I use my flame, there is a part of it that escapes my control. Always. It's gotten worse as I've grown older, grown stronger instead of weaker."

"Fire is wild, free."

"That's not what this is. It isn't the entire flame that can't control, just a drop of it, an ember."

Loo-Wit hums. "Perhaps a piece of you finds something to be missing and it is reaching out, searching. I think this tiny piece of your power won't settle until what it's looking for is finally found."

"But what could my magic be looking for?"

"Can you control your stars completely?"

Hika opens her palm to reveal the star lying there. It dances up into the air, spiraling and sending beams of light across their faces.

"My stars have always been a part of me, easier to control than the flame. Perhaps it's because they're mine and mine alone, none of my people have power over them."

"So whatever your magic is looking for, it's specifically connected to your flames."

"Maybe."

Loo-Wit nods and glances towards the roof of the chamber. "They're worrying about you up there, I've never done this before."

"Why did you?"

Loo-Wit laughs. "Because I wished to speak to you, and because of those flowers."

"What are they? I've never seen anything like them before."

"To be honest with you, Hi'ilani, I don't know. In no culture that I have heard of are there flowers that crumble into ash. But there may be a clue."

"What is it?"

"The colors of that flower and the ash it become, it makes me think of a story spoken by a family who visited my mountain from Russia. I would say to look there."

"Mahalo, Loo-Wit."

"You're very welcome. Now, I would say to return to the surface before Rainbow Crow returns from sending his message, worried for your sake."

Hika frowns. "Why would he be worried?"

"You're young, still mortal. Still growing into your abilities. They're protective of you. Now go."

With a laugh, Hika turns for the new opening out of the chamber, seeing Loo-Wit dissolve away out of the corner of her eye.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Umi kūmālua = twelve, when counting
Mahalo = thank you

What do you think of Loo-Wit? What do the flowers mean? What's going to happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out