Kanahā kūmākolu

It doesn't stay in puddle form for long, the thick liquid rising into one shape after the next. A crown of golden metal with a flaming orange stone at its tallest point and other stones that steadily grow lighter extending outward on the points to either side. Then a black diadem speckled with white gems.

A necklace follows, made of starstone. It's a black gem with tiny silver specks scattered in its depths. The last shape to form is a choker of silver netting, the intersections beaded with alternating crystals of blue, red, and gold. It melts again and creeps up her arm in iridescent tendrils. It settles around her neck in a repeated ring of chains before forming a wider loop.

Each loop contains a different gemstone; a pale stone of faintly banded blue and white, a drop of sunstone, and what looks like it could be yellow topaz. Some of the liquid remains in her hands to wrap around her wrist. It forms solid cuffs of moonstone that move as she rotates her wrist to maintain its solid shape. It reminds her of Jaak's frost, especially with the flashes of blue that appear as the stone hits the light. Hika frowns at her new jewelry.

"Why?"

"Why what?"

Hika shrugs. "Why would jewelry be in this of all things? It's lovely, but from what you were told of the star orb, it seemed to be important."

"I don't know anything more than you do. Actually, I think I might know less. You're at least wearing it. Do you sense anything?"

Hika touches the cool stone of one of the cuffs, the dark golden tips of her hair brushing it as she bends over her ball of starlight.

"It just feels like jewelry, that's all. Although, I do feel a bit warmer. But, it could be from anything."

Jaak reaches to touch the moonstone cuff and it lights up, one of the stones at Hika's throat doing the same. Before he can pull his hand away, HIka reaches up for the glowing stone and feels for its subtle warmth.

It's the highest of them, the blue stone, that glows. Hika frowns and leans away from Jaak so she can summon up a star without interference. The one she had been curled around reforms, having previously disappeared in her distraction. The lowest stone on the necklace winks and Hika tilts her head, frowning.

"They respond to power use. They must. But why did the top one light up when you touched the cuff?"

Jaak reaches again for Hika's hand, this time with frost. Icefire blooms and he grins, his gray eyes glowing. "The icefire. It must have at least sensed the presence of the possibility."

Hika touches the middle stone on the trilevel necklace, the sunstone. It saddens her for a heartbeat before she shakes her head and lowers her hand, resolving not to think of it. As Jaak had told her, dwelling on her missing fire won't help her, nor would it be very productive. So she wraps internal hands around the kernel of flame nestled behind her heartbeat and holds the thrumming flame in her hands for a few heartbeats before she lets go. She sucks in a breath and exhales.

"Jaak?"

"What?"

Hika frowns thoughtfully. "What should we do next?"

Jaak tilts his head and drawls, "Well, the Norns said that my father went to Mimir's well, so perhaps we should go there."

"Is that a good idea? I thought your father went insane because he went to that well."

Jaak frowns. "In a roundabout way, I suppose that is true. But technically, he went mad because he drank from the well without paying Mimir's price. As long as we don't do the same, we should be fine."

Hika worries her lip between her teeth. "I hope you're right."

Jaak pats her arm and leans against the wall, staring up at the ceiling. "I believe I am."

In silence, Hika curls against his side, leaning her head on Jaak's shoulder. He lets her, even shifting to rest his head on top of hers. Hika smiles, letting the cool aura of Jaak's body wash over her. Unlike the normal cold, this is pleasant.

Warm, almost. She finds it just as comforting as the warmth of her own flames or stars. Hika blinks. She feels so tired, why is she so tired? It isn't that late, is it? Although, she can't really tell, what with it being dark all the time. Hika yawns, pulling a laugh from Jaak. She can feel the reverberations from his chuckles, the shaking of his body.

"We'll go to see Mimir's well tomorrow. You need to sleep."

Jaak moves to slide off the bed and Hika groans, her words already beginning to slur with sleep. "Noooooo. Don't go."

"I have to."

Hika latches onto his arm, hugging it. "No."

Jaak sighs. "You aren't going to let go, are you?" Hika shakes her head and yawns again. She can feel Jaak's smile, bright as one of her stars. "I'll stay."

Hika gurgles out her thanks in an unintelligible string of letters and sighs, feeling darkness settle over her like a blanket. She feels a hand gently stroke her hair, the movement slightly awkward. She doesn't care. It feels nice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kanahā kūmākolu = forty-three, when counting

What do you think they'll find at Mimir's well? What's going to happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out