Dvacat' shest'

Jaak watches the approaching figures, tears pricking the corners of his eyes. He blinks them back and glances at Hi'ilani. She's staring ahead with a slightly anxious expression on her face. He frowns. The shadows around her, they aren't cast by the main star. There is another source. Jaak looks down and feels a small smile lift the corners of his mouth.

She's worrying a ribbon of starlight between her fingers, hiding it behind her back. Jack shifts slightly to bump her shoulder with his, bringing a snowflake down from the sky to land on the bridge of her nose. Hi'ilani giggles, the light flashing off of her eyes. There is a shout from ahead of them, followed by a whinny.

Jaak lets the sound distract him and looks forward, just in time to see the largest shape hurtle towards him, quickly taking shape. About a dozen meters away from him, the figure splits into two, the larger portion of it sliding off from the rest, leaving a horse to race towards him.

Jaak raises his hands, laughing as the horse whinnies again, its legs in a flurry of movement. Jaak steps forward and the horse prances around him, nosing his body and picking through the snow with his eight legs. Jaak strokes the horse's gray flank, smiling at the horse's whinnies of delight.

"Yes, it's me, brother. I'm home."

Sleipner lifts his head over Jaak's shoulders, his dark eyes narrowing in on Hi'ilani. Jaak strokes Sleipner's snout.

"At peace, brother. She is a friend."

Sleipner steps around Jaak to stare Hi'ilani in the eyes. He huffs after a moment, causing her golden hair to flutter at the force of his breath. She giggles as he drops his head onto her shoulders, accepting her.

Hi'ilani lifts one hand and after a moment, strokes his neck. Sleipner huffs again and swings his head away, looking for his rider. Jaak dips his head at the sight of the man in front of him. The man is old, with one eye scarred shut and the other full of wisdom. Hi'ilani gasps, knowing who the man is. Jaak smiles.

"All-father."

Odin smiles warmly. "Jaak Frost. Welcome home."

The other man reaches them, his hair dark beneath the night sky. But as the starlight reaches him, the man's hair and beard turn a brilliant red. He spreads his arms wide and wraps them around Jaak, beaming.

"Cousin!"

Jaak laughs through his compressed lungs. "Good to see you, Thor."

Thor pulls back. "And who is this you've brought with you? Jaak-"

Jaak flushes and points at his cousin. "Don't you dare. This is Hi'ilani."

Thor smiles at her, giving Hi'ilani a small bow. "Lovely to meet you. Are you human?"

Her eyes flick up to the star. "Does the light imply as such? I don't believe Jaak can make these."

Thor glances at Jaak, grinning. "I like her!" He turns back to Hika. "Demigod?"

"No, I'm a youngling. My mother is Hi'iaka of Hawai'i."

Jaak notices the pause between the letters and winces. Why didn't she tell him he was saying it wrong? Thor frowns in confusion.

"Your mother and I have an affinity then. But why do you not have a connected gift, young one?"

Hi'ilani shrugs. "I do, actually. I can also control flame. But my fire is frozen inside of me right now."

"Why?"

Jaak scowls. "My father. He attacked her. It's why I came back. Being in Russia won't be safe any longer."

Odin looks worried, frowning at Hi'ilani. "Let's get you back to the city. We have healers if you need them."

Jaak freezes, alarmed as he looks at his uncle. "What did you see?"

Odin attempts a smile. "You figured that out quickly." Jaak nods. "I don't know what I saw, not yet. I am not an expert on this but I can sense that something isn't right."

Hi'ilani smiles. "Thank you."

"How about you stop fiddling with that light behind your back and let us walk back to the city. Sleipner won't be letting me ride him anytime soon, he'll be too preoccupied with his brother."

Hi'ilani looks startled, glancing between Sleipner, who is standing between her and Jaak, and Jaak himself. "You're brothers?"

Jaak raises an eyebrow at her. "Your mother hatched from an egg and you have no father. You don't get to judge on the strangeness of familial relationships."

Hi'ilani laughs. "All right, but you're going to have to explain the story to me later."

"Gladly. Now, can we go? I haven't been home in over a century."

Hi'ilani laughs again. "Yes, we can."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dvacat' shest' = twenty-six (Russian)

Who knows about Sleipner? His origin store is actually quite interesting, I'm glad I was able to integrate him into the story. What do you think about Thor? What's going to happen when they reach the city? What's going to happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out