'Aono

Hika laughs when the younger girl sprints to the rest of the group, walking a good distance ahead of them. She tugs on the arm of an older woman and points back towards Hika. The woman and the man walking with her slow slightly and look back. Taking the hint, Hika speeds up to catch up with them. The woman smiles at Hika with cheeks slightly flushed and her hands on the girl's shoulders.

"Thank you for talking with Tuva, most people we meet don't like to entertain her with talking about mythology."

"Is mythology her favorite topic?"

"Always has been. Every week she seems to be finding a new story to examine. She started with the Norse myths and now she goes for everything she can find. Some of her favorite myths have been the ones here in Hawaii."

Hika has to bite back her wince at the botched pronunciations. "The stories here are quite unique, aren't they."

"Oh yes. She was just telling us about one story, saying Hika was-"

Hika can't help but cut in, feeling weird at the sound of her own name being used in conjunction with the stories of the past. "I'm sorry what was that name you just said?"

"Hika. The lighting goddess."

Hika has to hold in a gasp. "Oh, no. That's not the correct pronunciation of the name."

"Is that really bad?"

"Normally I would say no, but it's very strange to hear my own name in that context. The language is also dying, so I would much prefer to keep it alive in any way I can."

"Your name is Hika?"

"Yes. The lightning goddess is called Hi'iaka, if you prefer to use the shortened version of her name. There is a slight pause between the two i's and I think your a was a bit too blurred with the i's."

The mother nods. "Ah, thank you. But what did you mean by the shortened name?"

The girl, Tuva, is bouncing up and down as the small group walks back to the tour bus. Hika has to hold back a smile. "It is easier to say Hi'iaka, but her full name is Hi'iakaikapoliopele."

"That is quite long, isn't it?"

"That is the case for most of the names here."

Tuva's mother raises an eyebrow. "Your name isn't long."

"To be fair, I use a nickname. Although my full name isn't much longer."

"Back to the origin of our conversation, I suppose Hi'iaka's own origins are quite . . . interesting, to say the least."

"Oh yes, they certainly are."

"Who came up with the idea of her hatching from an egg?"

Hika blinks frowning. "I'm sorry?"

"It's absolutely absurd. Humans don't hatch from eggs. Why would the gods in these stories be any different?"

"For one, the gods aren't humans, they don't follow the same rules. And second, do you know how rude it is to talk about someone's beliefs that way? If you don't believe it, then fine. But please, don't be so harsh on the beliefs of other people just because you don't understand them. Do you want your daughter growing up with that kind of teachings?"

"Who are you to tell me all of that?!"

Hika lifts her chin. "I'm one of the people you just insulted with the way you spoke of the Hawaiian pantheon. You don't have to believe it, but you also don't have to make someone feel uncomfortable or bad about believing it. What if I talked this way about your religion? How would you feel?"

"I see your point, and I apologize."

Hika dips her head just as Tuva tugs on her mother's arm. "Can I talk with her about mythology on the bus?"

After a moment of hesitation, Tuva's mother smiles. "I don't see why not. Just . . . sit close to us, will you?"

"Yes Mamma."

Tuva leads the way onto the bus, picking one of the empty seats at the back. Hika slides in beside her, making sure to leave plenty of space for the younger girl. Tuva's parents take the seat just in front of them, her mother looking back at Tuva, who grins at her. Then Tuva tugs on Hika's short sleeve.

"What part of the mythology were you going to tell me that the books don't know?"

Hika lets out a soft laugh. "Those books will never tell you that Hi'iaka was a mother."

"Really? Tell me more!"

"Hi'iaka has a daughter, gifts with the power of the stars and this tiny spark of flame. The stars are so much a part of her that every night, she would soak up their light to wield as she wished."

"Is she the night sky?"

"No, she hasn't yet become a goddess."

"Why not?"

"She isn't yet of age. She has her powers but not to their full extent and she doesn't yet have immortality."

Tuva gasps, her eyes widening in understanding. "Really?"

"Really."

Tuva's mother turns around, her gaze skeptical. "And how would you know this?"

"There is the fact that I believe in the Hawaiian pantheon's existence, and then there is the bit about how I am a bit of an . . . expert on the stories."

"How old are you? Fourteen? How could you possibly be an expert?"

Hika exchanges a glance with Tuva, who grins up at her. "I have had some private schooling with those who know more than anyone else."

"And who would those people be?"

Hika deadpans. "Experts. Now, would you please stop interrogating me?"

Tuva's mother quickly turns around in resolute silence. Tuva tugs on Hika's arm and whispers into her ear. "Sorry."

Hika smiles. "It's alright."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Aono = six, when counting

What do you think of this? What is your opinion on Tuva's family? What about Tuva herself? What's going to happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out