'Ahā

Hika takes another sip of her cocoa, staring into the brown liquid. Her eyes flicker up to her aunt to see Pele watching her, eyes carefully blank.

"'Anakē? What is it?"

"Are you sure you want to do this? To travel outside of Hawai'i?"

"'Anakē, I can't stay here forever. I love Hawai'i, but there is a whole world out there."

"We have stayed in Hawai'i for a millennium, Hika. There was no need to leave. Even  the 'ohana from the mainland came here. So why are you so intent on this?"

Hika raises an eyebrow at her aunt. "Even when our 'ohana believed that there wasn't much of the world beyond the sea and islands, you still wanted to travel. Why can't I do the same?"

"I didn't travel alone, Hi'ilani!" Hika winces at the use of her full name again. "I went with my brothers and-"

"And my mother, I know. But you still did it."

"And I did it because I had no choice. Nāmaka wouldn't let me use my own gifts, they harmed her seas. So I came here, to this island." Pele runs a hand along the molten stone that formed the chamber long ago. I didn't have a choice, Hika. You do. And it wouldn't be safe for you to go now, let alone the fact that you want to go alone."

Hika glares at her aunt. "Why, because I'm not yet of age?"

"Yes! You can't use your powers to their full extent until then, it puts you at a disadvantage."

Pulling starlight from her pendant, Hika forms a star in her cupped palms, cradling it as it flares with bright, blinding light. Across from her, Pele winces, squinting to see through the light. Hika just stares into it, watching the subtle shifts in color. Beneath the star, she sets a flame to flicker along the underside of her cupped hands, accenting the glow of the star with dancing flickers of fire.

"Just because my gifts aren't as powerful now, before I come of age and gain my immortality, it doesn't mean that I am defenseless, 'Anakē. You have to trust that I can take care of myself."

Pele sighs and reaches out to Hika, wincing when her hand gets close to the star. Even with her powers over lava, the star emits enough heat to be unpleasant for her.

Hika mutters a "Sorry" and lets the star fade, pulling the remaining starlight back into her pendant before it can dissipate.

When she comes of age, it will be far more difficult to run out of starlight but for now, all she has is what she soaks up into her hair and stores in her pendant. So she has to save every wisp of it she can. Although, it is rare that she runs out of starlight in a day. She stores it anyway, just for reassurance. Pele's mouth twitches into a sad smile.

"So I can't stop you, but can I at the very least give you something that will aid you on your journey?"

"Yes?"

Pele smiles. "But not yet. You will tell me when you decide when to go? It'll be when all of our 'ohana is available, yes?"

"That's right, 'Anakē."

Pele nods. "Very well. Go and reassure my sisters that they needn't protect the populace from my moods today, will you?"

With a laugh, Hika nods her assent and turns for the opening out of the chamber. "I'll come back again soon, alright 'Anakē?"

Pele lets out a musical laugh. "Aren't you forgetting something, Hika?"

"I don't think so? What is it?"

"Look at your hands, Hika."

With a confused expression, Hika looks down to see flicks of flame still running along the skin of her hands. She flushes. "Oops."

She wrings her hands out to dismiss the flame, but a flicker remains on the tip of one of her fingers. With her other hand, she pinches the flame to snuff it out. When she moves her hand away, the flame remains and she sighs.

"This is getting worse. My stars are fine, so why can't I control this tiny wisp of flame?"

"Was that a question for me?"

Hika glances at the ground. "Possibly?"

Pele places a gentle hand on Hika's shoulder. "You'll master it in time, Hika. You just need to focus."

"I've been trying for years, 'Anakē! Instead of getting better, it just seems to be getting worse!"

"I'm sure that it will get better soon, Hika. If not on your own, perhaps when you come of age."

"I hope so. But what do I do for now?"

"It's just on your one finger, so curling your fingers around it should work."

Hika nods and curls her flaming hand into a fist, tucking the flame away against her palm. Sure that the flame is hidden, Hika follows the tunnel out of the chamber to the rest of Kilauea.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Ahā = four, when counting

'Anake = aunt

'ohana = family

Who do you think has the better argument? What is going on with Hika's fire? What do you think will happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out