Lethal Misfits (18)

Lethal Misfits - 18

Johnny

When I got back in the car, Iris was slumped in her seat, her eyes half closed. She became alert when I opened the door and slipped in. Apparently she was trying her hardest to remain awake. I couldn't blame her, she hardly slept last night.

After our little ''talk'', she didn't say anything and went back to bed silently. When I woke up in the morning, she was acting strangely as if we were suddenly strangers. Did it have to do something with the little speech I gave her? I did that because that's exactly what I thought about her and she needed to come out of her guilt. How were we gonna work on unmasking James if she remained gloomy all the time?

I had decided it was futile to give her any more lectures, if she insisted on creating awkwardness between us, I was fine with that. She just needed more space...I guess.

''We're going back.'' I declared,

''Uh? What happened? Did you get new information?''

''Yup, I asked Matt - don't ask who is he, to check records for flights to New York. Two years ago, there were five Steve Bradleys that traveled to New York, but none from Crescent Ville.''

She sat up straighter, now she had my attention. I left her to the troubled thought and started the car, heading back home. I had talked to Calla in the morning and she said they had also found interesting information. I couldn't wait to know. This matter was getting more interesting with every passing day and I was having time of my life solving it. I had never come across a situation like this, in fact none of us had.

Last time I was this invested in a problem was an year ago when a girl accused a guy for assault because he rejected her and later the boy's dad who happened to be some sort of hot shot, asked us to kidnap the girl and threaten her to tell the truth. The situation got out of the hand when the girl escaped and threatened to tell police on us. Thankfully Rowell and Alice managed to trap her again. Things had gotten crazy that time, I wonder how far the present situation will go.

''Where is he then? I mean, he's not here in this town. How are we suppose to find him?''

''Kenji found his picture in old archives so don't worry about that. To be honest I have an idea of where he is, but we can't jump to conclusions right now.''

''More theories, what is it this time?'' She asked with a sigh, was she already exhausted from everything? Weeks ago, I was having a feeling she should join our group, at that time I thought she was skilled at Judo and could come in handy. My feelings were changed now, after spending more time with Iris, I came to a conclusion that she wasn't cut to be like us, she had zero interest and most of time she was annoyed with everything. I shouldn't have assumed anything, back then.

''I think James has him in his clutches.''

''Now you sound like a movie villain.''

''Only I'm not,'' I replied, ''It's suspicious isn't it? They disappeared at the same time from Crescent Ville, to pose as Steve; James must have done something to make sure real Steve wont pop out of somewhere, right? That's why he must have taken him, in other words-''

''-kidnapped?'' she offered, I could judge from her expression she wasn't ready to believe this entirely but at the same time she was sure this was a possibility.

''Yes, this is logical enough.''

''And how do we fine if it's true?''

''I left that to Calla, she's good at coming up with ideas.'' I told her. Calla was a genius; her mind was one creativity balloon that flew on the highest cloud. None of us did anything without her idea, she was a good planner. When I discussed this theory with her, she had already thought about what to do next. Though she also added that it was important to talk to Iris first.