Lethal Misfits (10)

Lethal Misfits

Chapter 10

Iris

It was hard to ignore Johnny's invitation and call. Once he hung up I began wondering what this was about. Exactly what did he knew about my family that was unknown to me? He had already confessed hacking a lot of information about me and thanks to Marian's big mouth, he knew about Uncle Steve as well.

'..Something interesting about your family...'

My next thought stopped on Drew and without wasting a minute I had phoned Marian to know if he was still there. Thankfully, Johnny hadn't gotten as far as I assumed. Drew wasn't kidnapped.

That night I couldn't sleep properly, driven by anxiety and fear at the same time. Questions lined up in my head, followed by possibilities. Johnny wasn't a saint. He could be bluffing, this could be a trap to lure me somewhere, and after all he wasn't exactly ready to leave me alone.

But he was willing to help with Drew's treatment. Ugh this whole thing was confusing.

It was hard to know what kind of person Johnny was, deciphering him was like solving second order differentiation equations, I failed at both. But then I also decided that there was nothing good coming out of it - I did not trust Johnny, or anybody for that matter. Sure, he saved my life once but that didn't guarantee if he was a good person. I mean, he kidnapped people for talking out loud, ripped people from their families, how could I trust him?

Before leaving the next day, I kept in mind several strategies to use if he trapped me or something, like putting a knife in my bag, and for less morbid thought - an old baseball bat. Thanks to which my bag was big and fishy as well.

Later I dropped the bag back in my room when he texted me to say we'll be meeting at the coffee shop downtown. I wanted to argue that why didn't he choose my work place but then I remembered this was Johnny, he was weird. But that was a bit reliving since he won't dare to harm me in a middle of a crowded shop with a troll as a guard outside.

I didn't reply since I had a feeling he already knew I was coming. I locked my apartment and took my good time in going downstairs. The place wasn't so close and I could use all the time I needed to think.

Downstairs, I saw a very fancy mustang. I made a face.

Inside there was Alice and the sour guy whose name was impossible to remember; Ronan? Rosewald? Ugh whatever.  

Alice rolled down her window and gave me a grin, ''Law sent us to pick you up, come get in the car.'' I eyed the car, dad used to have this car as well, in old days. He said he was going to hand it over to me once I get rid of my driving fears. I shook away the pain that enveloped me at thought of dad.

''No way am I getting in with you guys,'' Alice had been nice enough to me so I directed this to Rosewald who gave me a grim look,

''It's not cursed.'' He snarled,

''Yeah, but you can be cursed.'' I leered back,

''Iris, we don't have time. It's urgent.'' Alice reminded me, glaring at Rosewald.

I stared at the car with an uncomfortable feeling in my gut, ''I will go on foot, you guys can leave and do whatever you want.''

Alice opened her mouth to speak but the guy cut her off, ''Leave her Alice, we can't force her to sit and strap her here, can we?''

''Yeah, Rosewald is right, I don't want to sit in.''

''It's Rowell!'' He snapped,

''I don't care, lets just say I don't trust you guys.'' I told them bluntly.