Lethal Misfits (11)

Lethal Misfits

Chapter 11

Iris

Marian sat gaping at me, her brown eyes were wide with surprise and she kept opening her mouth to say something but ended up closing it again. Drew on the other hand was taking it surprisingly well, he sat with a solemn expression, his dark eyes were fixed on the wall with an unbreakable concentration.

I had been worried about telling him everything, I thought he would be shocked and might end up hurting himself in one way or another. I had spent half an hour arguing with Johnny about this, he insisted that I took both Marian and Drew in confidence before following whatever crazy plans he had made for me. I on the other hand had been concerned about them; it was stupid to involve them in this mess. What if they end up in some sort of danger?

Johnny countered this, he said that his friends would make sure they are safe and we needed their help as well. Lies were going to be difficult to keep up with; as much as I had hated doing this I had to admit he was right. I hated lying to Drew, I had already told so my lies because I didn't want him to worry about me but these things were too big to hide.

''Your uncle is messed up,'' Marian whispered, she was finally out of her daze, ''damn it Poppet, I never though he'll go this far.''

''I know how you feel. I was shocked as well, we were still thinking that he had some grudge against dad and that's why he threw us out. Apparently he's just a greedy dog who can't get enough of the bones thrown at him.''

''He really betrayed us,'' Drew whispered, ''dad trusted him so much yet he...''

Angered flared up inside me, that was true. Dad had complete faith in his brother, he loved him with all is heart and always considered him as his closest friend. If dad had been alive, he would have felt worse than what we were going through. But no, if my parents had been alive, nothing like this has had happened.

I reminded myself that there was no time in dwelling about what could have been. Thinking about my parents always ended up making me feel weak and vulnerable, but right now I had to be strong, I couldn't afford to get emotional now.

''You don't need to worry anymore Drew. I am safe, right? He didn't succeed and I promise you I won't let him have his way anymore.''

''But that doesn't mean I'm not worried sis, do you think you can rely on anyone right now? After this?''

''Yeah, I'm sure about trusting Johnny. He did tell me about Steve's plan didn't he? It shows that he wants to help.''

''You lied to us Poppet, you said you saved his life.'' Marian complained, her face was twisted in a scowl,

I grinned sheepishly, ''I'm sorry, I didn't want to. But I was afraid of telling you who he really is.''  

She sighed, ''Oh well, it doesn't matter anymore.''

''What are you going to do now?'' Drew asked, his face showed worry.

''Johnny said that we can't live here. I have to go and stay with them until this thing is finished.'' I replied, Drew's expression changed to disbelief,

''What?! But where will I go? And how can we -''

''I already figured that out. If I stay here, Steve will know that Johnny didn't kidnap me as he ordered his agent to tell him so. I had to hide. And no, you're not coming with me.''

He opened his mouth to protest but Marian spoke, ''I think she's right Drew,'' I wanted to hug her, ''you're not in a condition to get involved.''

''I can handle myself!'' he argued back. I knew he hated not helping and it pained him a lot to sit back and watch everything from a distance but he had to realize how important his safety was.