Lethal Misfits (13)

Lethal Misfits - 13

Iris

That night was strange in its own way. Sleeping in a completely different place was more difficult than I had expected. The warehouse had changed a lot since last time I was here - the first time I met Johnny Law. I remembered I had vowed never to get involved with this guy again, yet here I was, relying on him now. They had cleaned it nicely compared to the other building, they had even put around some furniture for use. There was a wooden desk pushed on one side, a round table with a few creaking limbs in the middle with lots of mismatched rickety chairs around it. They had more lights here and the lamps were actually working, the walls were not as bare as before, they had added more graffiti to it. One of them was good with art.

My new ''room'' was set up upstairs, if it could be called a room. The place was more like a den; it was a small space where they had managed to squeeze a single bed with fresh flowery sheets (irises), a desk and a black couch. When everybody left, I turned to Kenji who was busy showing me every inch of the place with his own description. He looked like he was the tour guide at Taj Mahal.

''Um, where did you get all this stuff?'' I asked him, interrupting the speech about the model of the refrigerator downstairs in the kitchen,

He poked his head inside the room to see what I was talking about, ''Oh, Law did that. He had spare stuff at his old family house.''

I wanted to ask tones of questions about Law and his 'family house', but I yawned heavily only realizing how much I wanted to sleep.

''Oh, if you get hungry again, just call me. I make good ramen.''

''From cup?''

He grinned sheepishly, ''Not everybody is a good cook.'' Tell me about it, I knew that more than anybody else. But I was determined not to let them know, I had no intention of getting insulted by Rowell again, he was still hung up on the whole 'poppet' affair.

''I'm stuffed right now. I'll just sleep.''

Kenji nodded his head, ''That's cool, anyways I'll be downstairs.''

''Why did they leave you here anyways? You're just a kid. And I can handle myself.'' It was like leaving Drew with me, there was just a year gap between their ages. Thinking of Drew made my head hurt, I had called him as soon as Rowell dropped me and Kenji here, Marian was doing a good job in keeping him distracted but his voice had been filled with concern and suspiciousness when we talked. I had informed Marian as I promised but I asked her not to tell Drew everything - the guy had a habit of worrying unnecessarily.

''Not 'they', it was Law. He's the one who decides everything. He knows you're most capable of doing...stuff. I'm here to make sure David's men don't find this place. If someone shows up outside, I have to call him ASAP.''

I nodded, rubbing my chin, ''So Johnny's the ultimate boss of this place.''

''More or less, if he wasn't, there would've been chaos among us. We need someone to keep Rowell on leash, make sure Sully doesn't turn into a giant balloon from stuffing too much food or Calla doesn't break every piece of glass we own.''

''Wow, you guys are really something. Looks like Alice the only sensible person here.''

Kenji sniggered, ''You forgot me.''

''You're just a kid.'' I repeated to annoy him,

His face turned red, ''I-I'm not a kid!'' He cried, ''anyways as I was saying, I'm also the sensible one. And Alice wasn't like this before. I don't know much since she joined in before me. Rowell says she was pretty wild back in high school.''