Lethal Misfits (22)

Lethal Misfits - 22

Iris

I ended up walking back to my old apartment building, stumbling and often bumping into people along the way; it wasn't until I was inside the apartment itself and the door shut tightly behind me that I realized how much my feet hurt. As if someone had drilled thousand holes in my skin.

But it was nothing compared to what I felt, my feelings were in a clash, making my chest hurt from effort to figure out what had happened. I leaned against the door, eyes darting in absolute darkness and didn't attempt to reach for the switch board. My room wasn't hard to find without light, I had often come late at night, tip toeing my way towards the familiar room without intending to disturb Drew.

Drew...I hadn't realized just how much I missed him or needed him here with me. I had considered going to Marian's house, I did made a promise that I would tell her everything that happened, but my feet just brought me here. I guessed I wanted to be alone for a while.

I spent the next few minutes staring at the ceiling; my breathing was the only sound I heard. A moment later, a sob escaped my lips. I sat down and buried my face in my knees and let the tears come.

I hated this. I hated that I was a weak person, I hated that Kenji had to suffer because of my problems, I hated that Johnny's words had ended up hurting me in a worst possible way and most of all I hated the fact that I had began to care about them.

Months ago, I promised myself never to trust anyone again, the world was not my friend, and it was my enemy, just like James was. It had been so hard back then, to be strong for myself and Drew, to move on from the road of misery and start anew. Why had I made this foolish decision then? Why did I accept their help? I knew they were trouble, they weren't like me. They were different people; I could never have become like them. And where did it land me?

A boy was shot all because I gave up.

I should have never meddled with them, being alone was a better option. That way, others lives wouldn't have been in danger. Or maybe I shouldn't had interfered in this matter at all, I should have let James do whatever he had wanted with me and begged him to spare Drew's life.

Johnny was right. I was the outsider; I had been stubborn and ruined everything. Ugh, how many more mistakes was I going to make? Who would be next to be shot? Me? Marian? Drew? There was no telling, the harm was done. Soon James would realize that I was free and Steve was gone, it won't take long to figure out who helped me and then, he would target all of them next. Alice, Rowell and everyone who helped me despite all odds, Calla who treated me as an ally and put aside all our differences - just for the sake of our mutual feelings. Sully who was currently in my old house, collecting information in the enemy's den, walking on a thin rope when he could fall anytime.

I spent the night on the floor, tossing and turning, drowned in twisted and horrible dreams. When I woke up, a thin strip of sunlight shone through the gap in the curtains. I squinted my eyes and struggled to get up. My back was sore from lying on the hard wood floor and I had a killer headache.

It took a lot of motivation to get up and wash my face. That's when I noticed the blood in my hands. I stared at them for a second before frantically rubbing them with the soap. After brushing my teeth, I heated the water in the tub and stripped off my clothes. I took my sweet time to bathe, standing under warm water and letting it drain away the blackened feelings that had plagued me like soot.

I wrapped my body with a towel and walked out of the bathroom, I hadn't even once gone to my room since I came here. It took me a while to get the door open since the lock always got jammed. Inside there was a lot of dust, looked like I had lot of cleaning to do.