Lethal Misfits (20)

Iris

''Okay, lets go through the plan again.'' Johnny asked demanding our attention. I had been staring out from the window of their minivan and at the building we were suppose to infiltrate in. According to Sully's information, it was burnt down a few years ago and now James owned the rights. He was keeping Steve here and our job was to sneak him out. Johnny's plan wasn't anything extra ordinary; he just followed two major steps:

a) Don't draw attention

b) Get Steve out

''Calla, Alice and I will go through the back side and try to sneak up without making any noise,'' the girls nodded in understanding and Johnny glanced at Rowell and me, ''you two will take out the men silently. And when I mean silently, don't mess it up Rowell. Kenji you know what to do, I won't go through the trouble of explaining things again.'' Kenji nodded too, patting the heavy looking bag he was carrying.

Rowell, who sat gritting his teeth and kept throwing dirty looks my way, didn't come up with a comeback this time. He was too pissed off to be paired up with me to care about Johnny's remarks. Usually he wouldn't waste a second and argue back every time somebody dared to say something unpleasant about him.

To be honest I wasn't offended by his behavior this time, either I had gotten used to him or I was too worried to care about trivial matters. My heart had been beating too fast when we were driving here and bad scenarios kept appearing in my head, negatives thoughts were consuming my mind and I couldn't shake away the streak of fear that was nagging me. Johnny looked perfectly fine, just like he did back in the warehouse. He was under control, giving out orders like a perfect leader, keeping his cool and telling us to do the same - I envied him at that moment.

I prayed that everything would go the way we planned and things wouldn't reverse in a worst way. I did had several things planned in my mind in case our strategy failed or got hindered, but while Johnny was giving out his final words of encouragement, I wished those measures won't be necessary.

''Alice, once we're sure we've gotten him, you'll run back and start the car, bringing it near the building for quick escape. The moment I signal everyone, we'll get here in an instant and shoot away. Don't get late or you'll be left behind.'' He warned though I wasn't sure if he was serious or not.

''And I will go from?'' Kenji asked. I was surprised at first that Johnny had brought him with us, I wasn't sure why but he said that Kenji would prove useful for distraction. I didn't support this though; the thought of involving a sixteen year old kid was unnerving.

''Kenji, you'll come with us and distract the guys on the upper floor - if we assume they are there - we'll use that time to sneak Steve away. Don't worry, I'll told you to go once it's the right time. I wish Sully was here, he's best at carrying people, I'm not sure if we'll be able to handle his weight.''

Calla scoffed, ''Underestimating your own men?''

''I'm only saying that carrying him, we'll lose our speed could create problems with our stealth,'' Johnny sighed, ''okay then, lets go we don't have time.''

We filed out of the minivan and separated into our groups or pairs in our case and Johnny gave us a look filled with determination and hope, ''Good luck, guys, we are gonna win this one.'' I nodded and everyone parted, going on their own way. I lingered a bit longer, staring at his back as he ran away with the other three in tow.

''C'mon Poppet!'' Rowell called and I gritted my teeth,

''Stop calling me that!'' I muttered and followed him towards the main entrance of the building. Johnny had given us a little walkie talkie that we had fitted on our shirts to keep each other updated. It reminded me of the night I had met him for the first time, he used it that time to contact his friends as well.