Lethal Misfits (8)

Lethal Misfits

Chapter 8

Iris

''I hate soup.'' Drew made the most hideous face, his nose was scrunched in utter disgust while his lips were pressed stubbornly and he inched away his face away from the spoon that I was trying to put in his mouth.

I sighed and put it back in the filled bowl, ''Yeah you hate soup, and beans, and cereal, and the food I cook, so yeah. I'm aware of that, now open your mouth since we don't have the whole day.''

He groaned, ''Can't I have anything else?''

''If by anything else you mean a hamburger or a pizza than sorry bro, you're in a hospital not a cinema.'' It wasn't a merry thing to say but I had run out of jokes.

''Okay but at least let me eat by myself.'' He said it was embarrassing that I was feeding him while his arms were capable to do the job. He was fine now; he'd just fell unconscious before and scared the crap out of us. Though Doctor Phil had made it clear and any delay in the operation could lead to undesirable effects and he need not to elaborate the meaning behind those words.

I had been unable to push the morbid thoughts out of my mind, though Marian had assured me that her parents would help in any possible way. I wanted to refuse her straight away, she had helped me so much already and as much as I would like the idea of money, Marian's parents didn't have it growing at the back of their house.

There was another offered help which I had refused without question. Johnny. Apparently he was rich enough to fund the whole thing but the price was too high. Join him? Accept his offer? No chance. I was taken by complete surprise when he offered me his ''help'', he didn't look like someone who would do any good for someone he rarely knew. But after I processed his words and the expression on his face, it was clear and Johnny hadn't been joking. He was absolutely serious about giving me money. He didn't even know me properly and was acting like a friend. The feeling was one sided though, to me he was more of a stalker than a buddy.

What he wanted in return was a deal. I knew without inquiring what the deal was. Those people were mad, they stole, kidnapped, and probably tortured people for living and I had no place with likes of them. I wouldn't consider myself a very kind person; in fact I had no sympathy for people. After Uncle Steve, I had lost compassion for humanity, but it was all about interest and belonging. Or rather, doing something out of ordinary. I couldn't afford to take risk, while Johnny's group lived on risk.

''So, can I eat on my own?''

''What?'' I didn't know I was still holding the bowl in my hand.

Drew gave me an exasperated look, ''the soup? I can have it on my own.''

I handed it to him and helped him sit a bit straighter, Drew flashed me an annoyed look that suggested he didn't want to be treated like that.

''You just suddenly zoned out, is anything troubling you?''

Yeah, there were a lot of things troubling me, for instance my parents had died out of blue, leaving every single penny to an uncle who appeared in our lives not a long time ago, also out of blue. Not to mention my brother was struggling between the bridge of life and death, his operation was hanging above my head but I was broke since I lost all my savings to a case I shouldn't have gotten myself into. And how can I forget about a weird group of younglings that were stalking me and their leader was forcing me to join, just because I showed him a trick I learned in my judo class once.

''No, nothing really.'' Drew shrugged and drank a spoon of his soup, gulping it down and giving me an accusing look. Like I was the one who had cooked it and added his least favorite ingredients on purpose.