191-192

Chapter 191: Secret (Part 1)
In this start of the year in Ming Qi, it was considered happy but also not very happy.

The happy thing was that the entire family was gathered together and the unhappy thing was that once the New Year was over, Shen Miao would be marrying to Great Liang. As the time passed and the day approaches, everyone in the Shen Family were so busy that their feet did not touch the ground. Shen Miao’s dowry would include guards, servants, maids and even which roads the Great Liang’s horse carriages would be taking had to be prepared.

Even though the dowry Shen Xin prepared for Shen Miao was not comparable to the betrothal gifts Xie Jing Xing gave, it was very substantial. He did not give shops or land because it could not be used in Great Liang, furniture were not brought due to the wearing the horses and carriages and other than some rare and precious jewelry, everything else was changed into taels of silver. In another country, other things perhaps were dispensable but taels of silver were indispensable. It was much more convenient to have silver on hand.

Initially Shen Xin and wife had prepared enough money for Shen Miao but Shen Qiu secretly pulled Shen Miao to the side and took out a thick wad of notes from his sleeve, “These are notes that can also be used in Great Liang.” (aka cashier’s cheques) He then said embarrassedly, “Eldest brother do not have extra things and only have these silver notes for you. Hope that Younger Sister do not complain it being little.”

Shen Miao looked at the crumpled silver notes that Shen Qiu was holding and a warm current passed her heart. Shen Qiu was after all a young man and those soldiers in the army worked hard for him so Shen Qiu should naturally return the favour and treat them a meal or something. Shen Qiu’s salary was not enough at all and most of it was rewards from previous military achievements. Shen Miao was touched that he did not keep it for when he set up a family and instead gave it to her, “Eldest Brother, the money that Father and Mother gave can feed one for an entire lifetime. Why do you give this to me?”

“Father’s and Mother’s are Father’s and Mother’s. Eldest Brother’s is Eldest Brother’s. How could what I give you the same as what Father and Mother give?” Shen Qiu became anxious and pushed the silver notes into Shen Miao’s hands and left without even turning around. Shen Miao did not know if she should laugh or cry as she watched his retreating back and thought to instruct Mo Qing to secretly return it back to him when there was an opportunity.

Just as she was thinking, she saw Shen Xin walking in from outside, “Jiao Jiao, Father have some things to talk to you. Come, let’s go to the study.”

When Luo Xue Yan heard it, she wanted to follow, “Just nice, Mother also has some words to pass to you.”

“It would not be late for Furen to speak after a while.” Shen Xin said, “Let Jiao Jiao and me say a few words alone.”

Luo Xue Yan snorted but did not follow in. She thought that Shen Xin wanted to secretly give some money or something else to Shen Miao and thus did not think much.

Shen Miao followed Shen Xin to the study and Shen Xin instructed the servants to guard the door outside before letting SHen Miao sit in front of the table and brought some snacks and tea for Shen Miao to eat. After sitting down opposite Shen Miao, he then sighed deeply, “In a few days, Jiao Jiao will be marrying off. I planned to let Mo Qing follow you to Great Liang.” After pausing, Shen Xin continued speaking, “Even though Prince Rui is Emperor Yong Le’s blood younger brother, and have someone of a status in Great Liang, there are a lot of matters in the Imperial family and some matters are not as simple as it looks. At that time, you must not suffer grievance. If someone bullies you, go and tell Prince Rui. You are one that Prince Rui married back with thousands of gold so he has to protect you. Don’t carry it by yourself and let him handle it.”