101-105

Chapter 101: Drunk (Part 1)
The Shen family banquet was held two days later.

The banquet was suggested by Old Shen Furen herself, the previous annual family banquets were always single-handedly arranged by Ren Wan Yun, but this year it was handled by Chen Rou Qiu. Now that the management power of the Shen family landed onto Chen Rou Qiu’s hands, Old Shen Furen naturally felt that this was giving Chen Rou Qiu a big face but did not know that behind the glorious appearance, it made one miserable.

In Qiu Shui Yuan, Chen Rou Qiu was sitting in front of a table holding an accounting book in one hand and the other hand was awkwardly calculating on the abacus. The two maids standing behind spoke out, “Furen, you have been calculating for an entire afternoon, it is better to take a break.”

“The money just cannot seem to tally.” Chen Rou Qiu shook her head in distress, “Tomorrow’s entire account to Liang has to come out from my own pocket.” As she spoke, a trace of anger appeared on her face.

Chen Rou Qiu had flaunted herself as a noble female from a scholarly family, and thus was proud and aloof and could not bear the smell of money. In the beginning when Old Shen Furen handled the household power to Ren Wan Yun, it was not that she was not jealous inside but she could not bring her face down to fight, thus at the end there was a knot of it in her heart. After so many years of troubles, she became the matriarch of the Shen family but it was only now she found out that this management power was not easy to grasp.

Ren Wan Yun was from a wealthy merchant family and normally when Old Shen Furen wanted to spend more money, Ren Wan Yun could subtract it from her own dowry since she did not lack money. But the Chen family were only civil officials, if one were to speak positively, it was that breeze flowed into their sleeves (aka unsoiled by corrupt practices) but if one were to speak negatively, it was that they were poor, thus how could they be able to fork out more money to make up for it. Chen Rou Qiu thought that by taking over the management power, she would be able to divert money to subsidize her family expenses. But now looking at the situation, Ren Wan Yun had been fishing a lot for so many years that the money in the accounting books did not tally at all. Now that the family banquet was approaching, there was not enough silver.

It was still alright previously as Shen Xin would receive a generous reward from the Palace every year. But now that Shen Xin and the Shen family relationship was in a deadlock, there was no opportunity for the public funds to subsidise, thus Chen Rou Qiu felt some headache.

“Obviously knowing that there was not enough money in the public fund, Old Furen still want to hold the family banquet at this time. This is bullying Furen.” Chen Rou Qiu’s maid felt indignant for her.

“Eldest Master also intend to do nothing to save one from ruin. Since Furen’s money is not enough, why not ask Master for some?” Hua Yi also said.

“What nonsense are you saying.” Chen Rou Qiu said, “Master’s salary is not enough to bribe in the official circles, how can one ask him to fork out money?” She continued, “Let me think of what to do.” Shen Wan set his heart to climb up in his official career but Shen Gui was different. Shen Gui bit off more than one could chew and he did not have any ability thus could only fawn and curry favour to keep up appearances. Shen Wan was climbing up a step at a time and even though his steps were slower, he was much more practical than Shen Gui.

Chen Rou Qiu always knew that because she was unable to give birth to a son, the only thing she could rely in the Second household was Shen Wan’s love for her. Thus in order to control Shen Wan, she was gentle and soft but if she was unable to resolve the small amount of money in the household then would it not be troublesome for Shen Wan? With Shen Wan’s qualification, there were lots of female who were willing to enter the Second household so why would she put herself at a disadvantage.