65.

WARNING:
THIS CHAPTER COULD CAUSE TRIGGERS

I know I have had quite a few heavy chapters. It'll lighten up some soon. The two songs I chose for this chapter are not about Hero at all but how Jess is currently feeling about her current situation.

Jessica

"So we have a deal?" I ask Xavier. 

"Yeah."

"You're sure you don't mind? I could always find another way," he places his hand on mine.

"Yes, and as I said before, you owe me nothing," he smiles, and my eyes fall to his hand.

"Sorry, force of habit," he says, embarrassed as he quickly moves it.

"Don't worry about it." I shrug, reaching for my drink. I press the straw to my lips, taking a sip of it.

He nods, then says, "Trust me, I don't want to get on Hero's bad side" he lightly laughs

"Seriously though, thank you! You are a lifesaver to even think of me this way; you don't know how much this means to me." I shake my head, relief washing over me as my lips form a smile.

"It's the least I could do, especially with how I acted on the phone earlier. I—" his onyx-colored eyes meet mine.

"I know sometimes I do, too," I reply softly, moving my straw around in my glass.

We sit silently for a few minutes, "I guess I better go, and I'm sure Hero's worried about you."

"Yeah, I guess you're right," I sigh. I hope he understands. Please let him know why I have to do this. Xavier slides the cards toward me, and I take them.

"Do you want me to walk you over? I know you said Jo is across the street, but the parking lot looks like a ghost town."

"No, no, you don't have to. I'm just going to order Hero something to eat, I'm sure he's hungry, and he loves the sandwiches from here," I smile.

"Text me, so I know you two made it home safe," he says, hugging me.

"Will do, and thank you again."

I watch him walk out before pulling my phone out. Five missed calls.

Honestly, I expected more, but Hero isn't much of a texter, and in all honesty, I think he texts me because he knows I'm not too fond of phone calls.

Hey, grabbing you something to eat,
Then I'll be home. Is Kristen there? Does she want something?

No, she went back to Stella's.
Just come home, don't worry about
the food, we'll get something later.

I smile as I read the words just come home before replying.

That makes no sense since
I'm already here. See you
soon, love you.

Why can't you listen to
me for once? Love you

I am. You sound hangry 😅
Which is why I'm bringing you
food. Now let me order.