25.

Hero

"What did you do with it? I know you moved it!" Jess demands, moving in front of Kristen.

Kristen doesn't answer. She doesn't even look up from the book she's reading.

"Kristen, I swear to God! tell me right now, damn it!" Jess demands again through gritted teeth.

I get that she's pissed, but why was she throwing her clothes around?

Kristen looks up, her facial expression not changing. "I got rid of it..." Jess's hands go into her long blonde hair pulling it.

"What the fuck Kristen!!" she shouts

"I'm not going to let you start that shit again, Jessica! I know it hurts; he had no right to say those things to you; he's a total asshole! However, it's not worth it!"

"You can't stop me! I'll find another way!" She glares.

"That's a possibility, but at least for now, it gives you time to calm down and remember how strong you are and how far you've come."

Jess says something under her breath, which Kristen ignores by getting up and taking her book with her. Looking at me, she mouths, "good luck!" I nod as she walks passed me, going to her room and shutting the door behind her.

I go to where Kristen is sitting; Jess is looking down at her feet. I reach out, trying to lift her chin, but she turns her head.

"Don't you have a plane to catch?" She asks, her voice harsh but also soft.

"I'm not going to leave you when you're upset like this."

"You don't have a choice; you have a movie to make, remember? Just go, Hero! It's better this way, before." she swallows, then continues trying to keep her composure. "You'll get tired of this and of me.. Alex is right; who would want this? You should find someone who's not damaged! Someone better. Her voice shakes as the last sentence comes out, and tears slide down her cheeks.

"This isn't you! You are letting that asshole get to you, and that's exactly what he wants! So he can pick up the pieces."

"This is me, Hero. You just haven't had a chance to see it yet! Which is why I'm telling you to get out while you're ahead." I stand up, picking her up; her body is trembling.

"Stop!" She protests and tries to push me away.

I tighten my grip on her as I sit back down on the couch. I know she needs this; she needs me to take the pressure off. But she's too stubborn to admit it; she instead fight or say that she's okay, even when she got tears in her eyes.

I place my hands gently on the sides of her face, wiping her cheeks with my thumbs. "You are not damaged goods!" She looks down, and I lift her chin. "I mean it, Jessica, you can push me away, you can fight me, but you're stuck with me, and when you can't be strong! I can be strong enough for the both of us!" She looks at me with the same hesitant look from before; she let me undress her last night. "You can count on me." She takes a deep breath, her eyes closing, and her body relaxes as I kiss her forehead.

****

On the way to the airport, Jess doesn't say much. Her eyes are pretty much focused on the window. I brush my thumb over her hand, and she looks at me. I give her a weak smile.

"Don't worry, I'll be okay," she admits trying to smile. "We can always facetime.." she shrugs.

"You hate facetime." I declare with a raised eyebrow.

"True, but how can I say no, to this adorable face?" She laughs as we enter the parking lot.

"Text me when you land? She asks while we're waiting for the flight announcement.

"Yes," I reply, holding her hand and raising it so I can kiss the top of it.

Today has been stressful for her, and I'm trying my hardest not to worry about her. However, I can't help but wonder, what if he comes around and upsets her? What if she does whatever Kristen was talking about? I know she can take up for herself. But what if it goes too far, like today? I won't be there...

Flight 312 is now boarding! Los Angeles to Atlanta..

The woman announces over the intercom. Jess lets go of my hand, which breaks me from my thoughts, and I stand up.

"No crying, Tiffin.. I have cried enough for the both of us today," she jokes.

I look down quickly, blinking as I lean down to kiss her and then pull her into a hug.

"Last call 312"

"Jess," I whisper, unable to get the rest of the words out. She moves her arms from around my neck, wiping her cheeks..

"No crying, remember."

I kiss her forehead, then pick up my bag, heading toward the line, giving her one last glance before heading into the terminal. She waves as I smile, knowing it'll make her smile too.