40. Leo

It takes me less than a fraction of a second to recognize the man in front of me as the one we met today at the Magical Congress. The one with the handsome face and jet black hair. The one who held his briefcase as tightly as he tried to hold onto his secrets, but I could see right through him. 

The man who claimed he had never heard of my father before, but seemed to turn to stone at the mere mention of his name. The man whom I never expected to see again in my life, or even have a fraction of significance in my life, but apparently, I was wrong. "You're not my father," I blurt out before I can think through what to even say to him. 

He looks thoroughly caught off guard. His icy blue eyes widen in surprise as he registers the four of us standing outside his door. "You - what - how did you find me?" He breathes out. "Believe me, I wasn't trying to find you," I say. He just shakes his head, staring at me in shock. From a little down the hallway, a door suddenly slams shut, making me flinch. 

He peers outside into the hallway, suspiciously and cautiously looking both ways. He then drags a hand over his face and a regretful sigh escapes his lips. "I can't believe I'm doing this, but come inside, all of you. Quickly," he urges. My eyebrows knit together in confusion, but I don't argue. I step inside his apartment, followed by the three other boys. 

The very first thing I notice once I'm inside is a small table in the entryway, merely for decoration. On it sits a small lamp, a couple of books, and a few pictures. My eyes immediately are drawn to one frame in particular. A small gasp escapes my lips, as I register the familiar face. My father, smiling and laughing like he's the happiest man on earth, right next to the man from the magical congress, the man who just let us into his apartment, the man who swore he had never heard of my father. 

I pick up the frame, and turn around right as he locks the door, and bolts it. "So you've never heard of Fletcher Ashwood, huh?" I question. 

He looks even more caught off guard. His mouth opens and closes several words before he can even speak. "Let me just explain," he says. "Who are you?" I demand. He sighs deeply, appearing utterly stressed. "Why don't we take a seat at least," he says, turning on a light in a small front room next to where we stand. The area lights up, revealing a couple of couches and armchairs, all spaced out perfectly in front of a large fireplace. We silently take a seat. I reluctantly share a couch with Malfoy. He looks rigid and unamused. Like he would rather be anywhere else. 

"My name is Leo Montgomery, and I'm good friends with your father," the man sighs out. "Then why did you tell me you had never heard of him?" I ask. He shakes his head. "To protect him of course. Even if you claim to be his daughter I can't just give away his information," He says. 

"But I am his daughter, and I just - I really need to find him," I plead. 

"I'm sorry kid, but it's hard to find people who aren't looking to be found," he smiles sadly. 

"So that's it? You're not going to explain anything else?" I question. 

"What is there to know? I can't tell you anything else," he mutters. 

"At least tell me that he's safe," I say quietly. 

He pauses, looking empathetic. "Yes, you don't need to worry, he's very safe," he tells me. 

"Then why? Why can't I see him?" I frown. 

"In all honesty, I'm not even sure where to find him. He doesn't let anyone know much about him at all. He stopped a couple of years ago when some death eaters came looking for him during the second wizarding war. That's when he got really serious about keeping his whereabouts and information a secret, to protect himself," He explains.