25. fist fight

I'm sitting in the common room as students come and go every few minutes. It was Sunday afternoon so everyone was out and about enjoying the cool fall weather before it got truly too cold for any of us. Earlier this morning I had lied straight through my teeth saying I had a family emergency to attend to which is why I was gone most of the weekend. As for Malfoy, I said he was required to accompany me which wasn't so much a lie. I felt bad for keeping the truth from Arden, Daphne, and Capri, but some things were better left unknown, and this was a whole mess that they were better off not knowing about. 

They had gone down to Hogsmeade for the day, and begged me to come, but I was quick to realize that in my absence I had failed to do the homework that I was already falling behind on. So, now I sat at a table in the corner of the common room, slaving away at the stacks of homework I had to complete before the end of the day. 

I scribble messily across the parchment in front of me, trying my best just to get the work done when the common room doors slams open, causing me to flinch. My head snaps up and a dreadful feeling instantly takes over my body as I lock eyes with a fuming Cole Remington. I feel my throat go dry, and my body go limp. He looks at me with pure rage, and I know he's here for me. "You fucking bitch!" He shouts. 

I feel frozen to my seat as he begins to stalk right towards me, power in his steps, and anger in his frame. It all happens so quick I don't even process it right away. He grabs me by the front of my shirt, yanking me up in an instant and slamming me into the wall behind the table I was sitting at seconds before. A pathetic sound escapes my throat as the air is squeezed out of my lungs on impact. I stare at him with eyes as wide as the moon as I struggle to catch my breath. My eyes scan the room looking for anyone I know that might help, but the current bystanders look more horrified than I do right now.

I turn my eyes back to the fiery stare of Cole Remington, fear running trails across my body. "I can't wait for the day I get to watch you die," he says in a low voice, venom hanging off the edges of every sinister word that leaves his mouth. 

"I - what-" I struggle. "Oh save your breath," he snarls. "Thanks to you, I've been expelled. Are you happy now?" he says, his tone nothing short of evil. 

I can help the wild smirk that creeps onto my face, "About time," I breathe out. His face contorts into a look of disgust, and somehow he looks even more mad than he was before. He grips tightly onto the front of my shirt, roughly pulling me into him as he towers over me, his face only inches from mine. "I swear to god, I could kill you right now," he sneers. 

"And beat Rookwood to it? He seemed pretty eager to kill me the other night," I snap back, my voice carrying its own poison now. "I don't give a damn what-" 

A sudden stream of light comes barreling into his side, throwing him into the wall in nearly less than a second. I stare at him in disbelief as he looks disoriented and confused. I then turn my head to the right, to see Malfoy standing on the top of the stairs, his wand pointed right at Cole. 

"Don't ever - touch her again," he says, and nothing beats the calm rage and absolute authority behind his words as he reaches the bottom of the stairs, his wand still pointed at Cole. "What the fuck?" Cole spits out as he stands up. 

"Malfoy here to save the day once again. You just don't know when to quit, huh?" He growls out as he picks himself off the floor. 

"Likewise, Remington," Malfoy says calmly. 

"You better keep a close eye on this one," Cole begins as he nods towards me, and takes several steps towards Malfoy, "Wouldn't want her to end up like your last whore," He says, an evil grin on his cocky face, and I instantly know he's speaking about her. Whoever he lost in the war. Shock ripples across the room, like everyone who's watching also knows exactly what he means.