21. poison

"Pardon?" Minerva questions right away. 

"I know a seer when I see one-" she says to my aunt before turning towards me and gently grabbing my hand. "and you dear, happen to be one," she smiles softly. My mouth falls open. I have no clue how to even respond. Is this a joke of some kind?

"I-I- are you sure you have the right girl?" I ask.

She laughs lightly. "Oh darling, I'm more than always sure. And true seers aren't easy to come by. Believe me, when I tell you, you are most definitely gifted," she says. A funny feeling washes over me from head to toe. A seer? Me? How in the world is that possible? 

"Then how come I've never known? How have none of us figured this out yet?" I ask and gesture towards Malfoy, who has been incredibly silent this whole time, and my Aunt who looks dumbstruck. 

"It's true you spent most of your life with a block on your magic, yes?" Astrid questions. I nod my head in response. "Well, then it makes perfect sense. Just like you have always been a witch, you have always been a seer. But your powers, they have been suppressed this whole time, including your abilities the natural seer would have," she explains. 

"What kind of abilities?" I ask. 

"You can see the future, my dear. And if you're lucky enough, you can see glimpses into people's lives. This gift, however, is a lot to handle. Sometimes it might even be considered a curse. The burden of the future isn't light, but you could do many great things with a knowledge hardly anyone else holds," she says. The information feels overwhelming. I feel my head begin to spin. The future? I can see the future? 

A slight gasp escapes my lips as I immediately recall a single instance that suddenly makes sense to me. About a month after I arrived at Hogwarts, I remember the short flashes of images that would stain my mind regularly. 

The mercury mask of the Death Eater and the silver dagger raised mid-air, ready to strike. Two separate scenes that replayed in my mind regularly. I was scared to tell someone, fearing that maybe I was crazy. 

It made sense now. Especially after Malfoy and I were followed by Rookwood and Remington a month or so ago. But more importantly, the two images that I knew from my own mind, we two instances that I had watched play out that very night. A small glimpse of that sinister death eater's mask, which happened to be the very mask Cole Remington's father wore as he revealed himself that night.

But the most terrifying part was the silver dagger. I recall vividly the way things played out exactly. I remember the way Rookwood pulled out the silver dagger and immediately raised it directly above Malfoy. The moonlight reflected off of the blade as he was ready to strike. 

I knew in my heart what he was about to do, but furthermore, I recognized that blade from nights of seeing it when I closed my eyes. Something willed me to escape from the ropes Rookwood had conjured around me as I watched helplessly, and finally the rage that fuelled me to fight was able to save Malfoy for all I know. 

The connection of it all hits me like a ton of bricks. I was never crazy. This whole time I was being warned. It was a glimpse into the future of a night we almost didn't make it out of. I stumble back as pain shoots up my side. I had forgotten that I was still severely injured. The flood of agony mixed with this groundbreaking news makes my knees go weak.  

Two strong arms are quick to wrap themselves around me and hold me up. "I've got her," Malfoy says to Astrid and Minerva as he pulls me into him. The two women look at me with concern in their eyes. My aunt turns to the black-haired witch. "I need your help," she says in a low voice.